Question about swapping my XP hard drive with my POS vista hard drive

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2009 9:00:30 AM

as you all know vista blows for gameing. (ya im sure if you spend $10,000 it might work, but thats besides the point..

Question i have is can i swap my windows xp hard drive with my vista hard drive, (all components are compatable.

The xp is currently in a Emachine w3400

The vista is on a Gateway, x4200-09

If you need more info ask, I'll attempt to find it.

More about : question swapping hard drive pos vista hard drive

a b G Storage
June 28, 2009 9:37:00 AM

Yes, you can swap them. You likely will need to do a windows repair to get the xp HD to boot in the new PC.

Which vista version are you running? It can be customized to improve the performance.
June 28, 2009 9:56:40 AM

just curious, but how does vista blow for gaming? i've been running vista for awhile now, everything works great.
Related resources
June 28, 2009 10:17:45 AM

k_blox said:
as you all know vista blows for gameing. (ya im sure if you spend $10,000 it might work, but thats besides the point..

Question i have is can i swap my windows xp hard drive with my vista hard drive, (all components are compatable.

The xp is currently in a Emachine w3400

The vista is on a Gateway, x4200-09

If you need more info ask, I'll attempt to find it.

'As you all know, gateway x4200's and emachines blow for gaming...'
June 28, 2009 10:29:18 AM

hey that emahcine was awsome when i bought it, (cant even rember what year) the Gate way i had with xp on it went through countless errors, got it swaped on a lemon law, and got stuck with vista.

croc no one wants to see your flames.. take it else where

Im running a 64 bit vista aford10

anzguy, its not so much that vista "blows" for gameing, its just this is a quad core processor, (most of the games i play are not able to use the quad core (thus im running at 1/4th the potential, (not vistas fault its an old game) But, vista still uses 1/2 of the 4gigs of ram JUST to run the OS.
a b G Storage
June 28, 2009 12:42:56 PM

I would agree that getting rid of Vista and going with XP is likely a better move on both these 2 machines. They are both pretty weak machines for gaming of any kind, whatever you could do to unload overhead will only help.
Swapping hard drives and OS's is going to turn into something you probably don't want to get started, and if you do not have retail versions of Windows for these 2 systems, you are really going to run into problems. If you only have system restore disks, like usually come with prebuilds, forget it.
This is not a flame, it is a fact.
a b G Storage
June 28, 2009 3:40:31 PM

+1 ^
Vista is a little more resource hungry. However, without a retail disc, it's not going to go very smooth for you.
June 28, 2009 10:24:41 PM

K, thanks very much for your info jitpublisher, and aford 10,
June 29, 2009 12:31:12 AM

k_blox said:
hey that emahcine was awsome when i bought it, (cant even rember what year) the Gate way i had with xp on it went through countless errors, got it swaped on a lemon law, and got stuck with vista.

croc no one wants to see your flames.. take it else where

Im running a 64 bit vista aford10

anzguy, its not so much that vista "blows" for gameing, its just this is a quad core processor, (most of the games i play are not able to use the quad core (thus im running at 1/4th the potential, (not vistas fault its an old game) But, vista still uses 1/2 of the 4gigs of ram JUST to run the OS.

k_box, I'll post what I want, where I want until the mods revoke my login. I did not 'flame', but your OP did start with what might be considered by many to be a flame. Don't want controversy, don't start posts with a controversial statement.

Vista manages memory much better than XP, BTW, and if your vista install is using 2 GB ram then I'd be doing some serious system checking as to why. Win7 will manage memory even better, but I suspect that you will still insist that XP is the best, simply because you don't understand what the OS is really doing.

Now, my reply was a bit of a 'flame'.
June 30, 2009 9:51:29 AM

Well, golly im sure sorry im not an edgumcated jackass like yer self thar croc,

Hell maybe one of them thar days, ill be so inellag gent, ill be able to go around to others post and just add be a dick head.

All you did was come into my post where I'm asking a valid question and add your .02 cent remark.
Not once did you offer any info about the question at hand.

Congradulations you sir are a jackass..

Mods please close this topic, I got the info I needed thanks to a few helpfull members.
June 30, 2009 12:11:32 PM

Quote:

funny my 2 year old vista quad rig which cost under that runs games flawlessly. its not vistas fault you got suckered into getting a crappy emachine.
!