Sign in with
Your question

Sound over new 8800 GTS card via dvi-hdmi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2008 12:39:57 PM

I was running a 780G MB with a ATI 3470 card. That card came with a DVI-HDMI converter. It allowed me to hook right into my 42 1080p LG tv and play sound over it as well.

I have now acquired a 8800GTS. I am using the same DVI-HDMI converter to my TV. The video works fine, but I am not getting any sound.

Does this card support sound over DVI (via a converter) like my lowly 3470 did????
May 3, 2008 1:00:20 PM

Well that just Stinks!!!! I wanted to upgrade my 3470 to a very decent game playing card. I guess I need to look at the 3850 & 3870 cards now... Guess I need to RMA this card back....
May 3, 2008 1:06:24 PM

poclovis said:
Well that just Stinks!!!! I wanted to upgrade my 3470 to a very decent game playing card. I guess I need to look at the 3850 & 3870 cards now... Guess I need to RMA this card back....

Why is pre - purchase research such an alien concept these days? :pfff: 
Related resources
May 3, 2008 1:07:05 PM

Ack!!! My card I bought can only be exchanged for another card or same type, not a return....
May 3, 2008 1:35:58 PM

HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or recording certain restricted content.

if your TV has HDMI you should be able to get sound, but it is when you try to output through a DVI that you lose hdcp.
if your tv has hdmi you should be ok.
May 3, 2008 1:36:50 PM

HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or recording certain restricted content.

if your TV has HDMI you should be able to get sound, but it is when you try to output through a DVI that you lose hdcp.
if your tv has hdmi you should be ok. or perhaps have you looked at the nvidia purevieo? check it out.
!