spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Hello everyone,
This will be my 6th or 7th build so I have experience, I'm just a little indecisive.

I will use the computer for gaming, professional music creation(programs like sonar 7 and waves mercury pack), and video converting/burning. I like nVidia cards over ATi so I am sticking with the evga 9800 gtx that I got from step-up. I am still undecided on SLI'ing because it has little benifit at my resolution (1600x1200) but the idea is still eye-catching. I run both XP and Vista 64.

Motherboard choices;
Asus Rampage Formula, or Asus Striker II formula. I know 780i has problems but it will allow me to SLI, and I have not found many reviews of the rampage.

Processor choices;
q6700 now that its $266, e8400, or q9450... is there a real benifit with a quad for music creation, and is q9450 worth the extra cost.

Also i have a thermaltake V1 cooler and don't feel like buying another cooler so is this good enough to cool whatever processor

Memory;
OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC 4GB Edition <-- already have it.. got it for $60 :D

Power supply:
Cooler Master Real Power Pro M700 700w Modular if it ever comes instock.

my HD are 2 raptor 150gigs. No raid, I don't find any need for it.

I will OC a little, nothing crazy. Just enough to get my moneys worth.

Thanks for your input and advice.

akhilles

Splendid
The Yorkie isn't worth the extra cost to me cuz I've seen the overclock world records. If you like to babysit the exotic cooling, go with Yorkie. For the average use who just wants to drop it in and forget it, go with Kentsfield. The best bang for now is Q6600. If you can get the Q6700 for 10-20 bucks more, get it. Keep in mind that you need better than air cooling to overclock the cpu extremely. The difference between the 2 quads is x9 VS x10 multiplier. i.e.:

9 x 400 = 3.6ghz
10 x 400 = 4ghz

With DDR2-800mhz, you can get 3.6ghz out of Kentsfield with good cooling. With stock cooling, 3ghz is a given.