I can't load my external hard drive

heide399

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I just bought a Toshiba external hard drive USB 3.0 port. Normally, external drives appear under My Computer and when I want to move a file into it, I simply right click on the file, chose "send to" and select what drive I want the file sent to.

This new external hard drive shows up only in"Device Manager" under "Disk Drives". I tried dragging the file into it but that's not working. I tried right clicking on the device in order to try to send a shortcut to my desktop, but that doesn't work either. How exactly do I get my files onto the hard drive. The files are on my Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 laptop using Windows Vista. Thank you!

Solution
Sounds like the new external drive is not partitioned or formatted. So you need to load the disk management (press the Windows key + R then type in (without quotes) "diskmgmt.msc") program, create a partition on the new drive, format that partition, and then it should start showing up where you expect it to.

cl-scott

Honorable
Sounds like the new external drive is not partitioned or formatted. So you need to load the disk management (press the Windows key + R then type in (without quotes) "diskmgmt.msc") program, create a partition on the new drive, format that partition, and then it should start showing up where you expect it to.

Solution

heide399

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Hi Scott, Thank you so much for helping me. The disc says the following:Heathy (Active Primary Partion). WhenI tried to right click to format, the format key is not lit up so I can't click on it. Does this mean that the disc is aready partioned?

One thing I forgot to mention: When I plug the drive in, it intially lights up but then the light goes out. Is that normal or do you thing there may be a problem with the drive? Thanks Scott