Crashing while playing games.

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
My computer crashes while playing supreme commander or company of heroes. I was using speed fan to check the +12v and it constantly says 10.67v. Is my power supply dying or is my overclock to high?
Q6600 B3 @ 9x333mhz 1.4v
Gskill stock 800mhz 1.85v
7600gs stock 512mb ddr2
antec smartpower 2.0
nvidia 680i
antec 900 all fans high
artic freezer 7 pro
Ill take any thoughts

carod

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Might be an idea to look at your cpu temps, Computronix seems to be the resident knowledge on temp sensing programs and i believe he has an in depth post somewhere on how to calibrate the readings for different cpu sensors, i didn't go thorugh it myself but i think a program called Real Temp is highly regarded. I say check your temps because i know from personal experience that supreme commander puts a very heavy workload on your cpu.

The easiest way to to check your 12V rail is to use a multimeter if you have one available? maybe you could borrow one off a friend if you know any engineers or they're pretty cheap for a basic one anyway. I wouldn't stress about the speedfan reading unduly since it reports mine as 8.6Volts and i've metered it and it's over 12, the version i'm running simply isn't calibrated for my motherboard. If you do meter it and it really is only 10.67 then thats the time to start worrying :D

Peace

Carod

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

supreme commander sure needs better graphic card but will not crash your computer
It is also one of 2 games available that can use processor muticores (Flight Sim)
Is it stable under Prime 95 for 8 hours ??
Check please and come back

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
No... you are all wrong :D :kaola:

Your PSU is going to crap!

Back when I was playing Empire Earth (I know you laugh but that game was awesome) my PC used to lock up during the game all the time. At first my ignorant self thought it to be the wireless Ethernet card not producing enough bandwidth for my online entertainment. Until someone suggested rather abruptly that my PSU was dying a slow and meaningful (in the sense it was ruining my gaming experience... you have no idea how frustrating it is to have your game crash when you have been working on a massacre for hours and are just ready to attack the enemies home base) death!
So just replace that rusty PSU with a new one and I promise you (not my money... easy to say) it will work again.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
check out the real voltage of the 12v. and check out your temp. it could be your graphics card. but again. best way to know is. stress test each component.

use primer95 to stress your cpu.

use atitool to stress your gpu.

c what happens.

carod

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006

You're using your psychic powers to come to this conclusion i take it? Op do some stress testing on components and get some accurate temp and voltage readings before you rush out and buy a new PSU, remember your particular Q6600 runs hotter than the G0 variant which is why my gut instinct is on the temp side but unless you do testing there's no way to know for sure.

Peace

Carod

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
3.0ghz is not that much of an overclock to produce much heat. I've had mine cooking at 70c with no crashes. I only say PSU from personnel experience with my rig many a time and friends rig a few times. I've gone through many PSUs until I met PCP&C... he has been very good to me! :D

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

Its happened to me many times.

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
The temps for the Q6600 hover around 50c while playing games and the video card never had problems in xp. I can only stress the Q6600 for about 4 hours because my dad yells at me. How do you measure the real voltage of the rail? Is a multimeter one of the rectangular devices with a knob choosing many different settings.
Thanks for all of the input.

Yes. A multi-meter can be used to determine rail voltages. Please do be careful and know what you are doing. I do believe it is a PSU issue. If you need to buy a PSU what would be your budget?

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I could get any psu, but i would look in the <150 range. 6+2pin pci-express would be nice. Newegg is my only choice for buying parts. I would like to have the psu to work for a couple of years. Long cables to reach the top of the antec 900 would be nice too.