My data is all gone

waelkd

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
so i turn on my pc and the data on my 200 gb harddisk is all gone,my computer tells me the disk is unformatted and need to be formatted,i dont know what to do ,is all my data gone??

sub mesa

Distinguished
Simply restore all your precious data from the backup you so thoughtfully made.

Seriously, you don't give us any more info about your problem, for example what happened to the drive that it could loose its partition; that doesn't happen by the wind.

waelkd

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
fair enough,i had some electricty shortage something went wrong with the power lines ,so the electricity went off and on ,so by the time the power was on,i turned on my pc ,i have to hard disk an 80 gb and 200 gb,so windows is on and running on the 80 gb,and all my other vids and music is on my 200gb,so i double click my 200 gb harddisk but i cant enter my pc freezes for like 10 minutes and than i get a box saying "the drive ur trying to access is not formatted want to format",its as if the harddisk is raw,cant access it.

thats why i can't restore my backup or anything

sub mesa

Distinguished
Well first check if the drive is healthy, your data could still be there but some read errors prevent it from continuing.

So what you can do is use the manufacturers DOS utility or download Ultimate Boot CD which contains all these utilities and scan your 200GB disk for errors. If it can repair them, you should be able to access your drive again. If it found irrepairable damage and gives you a return code, you can try commercial software like Spinrite to fix the damage on your disks. Spinrite would be excellent for this kind of task. Its a bootable ISO so it won't have to run on Windows.