the_tones2301

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hi,
I updated the bios on my G31M-S2L motherboard, it was one of the first things i did after i got it up and running just to make sure everything was compatible and running nice. I have owned many gigabyte motherboards in the past and have suggested their mobos' to many people and none have had any problems updating the bios. Anyways, i updated it and restarted the computer to find nothing posted, just to see i put a pci-e g card in and started up again, the Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 popped up with:
Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive ...
Now upon searching the net i found that this is Gigabytes automatic flash recovery, if the bios is detected to be corrupt, it automatically reloads the previous one form the hdd (apparently each successful boot the bios is saved onto a hidden partition in your hard drive where nothing can get to it. So i have made sure the hard drive is just the way it was on the last successful boot, hooked into the right sata port and all but it just sits there 'scanning' i on the system isn't frozen as the dashed line is still flashing.
Apparently normally it would find the bios and come up with auto-recovering but in my case nothing.
The strange thing is that even when i take the hard drive out it comes up with the same thing, on other systems it will automatical say can't find bios image when the hard drive is removed.
Now just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas as to how i can get this auto recovery working?
If not any ideas on a manual recover? As far as i can tell this auto recovery ahs taken over fomr the normal auto recover from floppy setup where if you held the right keys it would reflash whatever bios was on the floppy, so any ideas as to whether there are any other recovery options for this motherboard?
Cheers
Anthony Smith

the_tones2301

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
hey,
the bios recovery is this bootblock that keeps popping up, the recovery from cd runs xpress recovery 2, which is a os/hdd recovery tool so of no use for the bios, the problem is this Xpress Bios Auto Recover (Bootblock screen) seems to only check hdd which for some reason isn't working and it doesn't look like i can chekc a cd or floppy or anything
looks like i'll just have 2 try return it

RadaRD

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Plz, do you solved your problem?

I have the same problem with my GA-P35-DS3L :( I tried connect floppy drive only (as DOS boot diskete with autoexec.bat and bios image), dvd drive only (with motherboard original disc), hdd only, usb flash disc - but nothing helped. IMO none of these devices is looked for (no LED is flashing).

I'm tried clear CMOS and remove battery too.

But the message is still the same:
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0

Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive...

Keyboard don't work to me (no keyboard shortcuts, just nothing).

Motherboard has Virtual DualBIOS capability, but this isn't evidently classic Dual BIOS (with two separate chips).

IMHO the possible key is BIOS image on hidden partition on harddrive.
But unfortunately I don't get WHEN and HOW is BIOS image written to "hidden partition" on my hard drive - as mentioned on many places on the web :(
I'm start thinking that Virtual DualBIOS is only non-functional blah-blah to customers :(