Sign in with
Your question

Pci card or pci x card for raid 0 with 3 drives - ?

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2009 7:07:27 PM

Does it matter? I am wanting to raid 0 three western digital blues for sample streaming. I have a raid pci card but now I am thinking I should take it back and get a pxi x or pxi express raid card.... any difference?

amd x2 3800..... I know I have to upgrade...

my motherboard is below if anyone cares. Anyway wanted to let you know the age of the board... not too old.

Brand BIOSTAR
Model GEFORCE 6100-M9
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type 939
CPU Type Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron
FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100
South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 410
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×184pin
Memory Standard DDR 400
Maximum Memory Supported 4GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel
Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 1
PCI Express x1 1
PCI Slots 2
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 4 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 2
SATA RAID 0/1
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6100
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC655
Audio Channels 6 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8201BL PHY
Max LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 1
LPT 1
Video Ports D-Sub
USB 4 x USB 2.0
Audio Ports 3 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0
Physical Spec
Form Factor Micro ATX
Dimensions 9.6" x 9.6"
Power Pin 24 Pin
Packaging
Package Contents GEFORCE 6100-M9
User Manual
Driver Disk
Rear I/O Panel Shield
IDE/PATA Cable
FDD Cable
SATA Cable
a c 127 G Storage
June 28, 2009 7:14:45 PM

Since you don't have any PCI-X slots, and both PCI and PCI-X are obsolete when PCI-express came out, you should pick PCI-express always when choosing an I/O controller.

But since you only want RAID0, you may use software-raid with those 3 drives, which works in windows just fine. You can't boot from these however, but i would suggest leaving a seperate disk for the OS to seperate from your streaming data volume. If you have only those 3 disks, you can also use one for the OS+Programs and 2 in RAID0 for your storage data.
June 28, 2009 7:31:44 PM

Thanks for the reply... I should get a pci express raid card.... I need the sata ports as well....

I thought I did have 1 pci x slot on this board? It says i do... By the way... this pci card i just bought for 50 dollars. Why would they sell me a raid card on a pci chassis? I thought the pci limit is say 150 mb/s.... is so why does it say it can do 1.5 gbps? So using this will limit my hard drive speed and I have to take it back and order a pci-express raid card then? The blues put out 100 mb/s max and I will have three of them.... I am struggling here with this so bear with me... not a total computer idiot but... So can't use software raid as I have not ports left by the way! I know someone may be thinking why are you getting involved in a raid 0. I have to have this for a sampled piano so I get max polyphony.
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
June 28, 2009 7:50:43 PM

Your motherboard has PCIe x1 slot and PCIe x16 slot, but the latter may be in use by your video card. So that leaves PCIe x1, and you can find alot of cheap 2-port or 4-port SATA controllers with this interface. With a raiser, you would theoretically also be able to run PCIe x4/x8/x16 cards in a PCIe x1 slot, but ofcourse it would still be limited to the speed of PCIe x1.

So you can switch your PCI card for a PCI-express version. These use newer chipsets as well. Aside from PCI bandwidth being lower (133MB/s versus 500MB/s PCIe 2.0), its also shared with alot of other PCI devices, not just on the PCI slots but on the motheboard. In short, PCI is always slower than PCI-express, which is a dedicated interface not a shared bus. PCI-express is alot better than both PCI and PCI-X. You will have lower CPU usage by interrupts and have lower latency I/O.

So PCI is limited to 133MB/s, but it still can accept 1.5Gbps and sometimes even 3.0Gbps drives, so how does that work? Well simple; the interface between controller and drives may be up to 300MB/s, but all communication with the host computer system will be max 133MB/s and in reality a bit lower at ~110MB/s. So you will still be capped in performance, but PCI is slow anyway. Ditch it. :) 
June 28, 2009 8:15:03 PM

Awesome... thanks sub mesa... great detailed answers.
June 28, 2009 8:30:30 PM

One last question on this thread. If a card has 2 ports in and two ports out and it says two channel then that means only two ports can be used? So I need to search for a card that has pci xpress that has 4 channels... this is getting into a hundred bucks or more. If my search and logic is correct. I might as well replace my motherboard processor and ram for 200 bucks and get 6 sata ports on the board?
!