RAM for OC.ing on GA-X48-DQ6

M@Sc0T

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
What RAM should I get for OC.ing on a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 or DQ6?

Currently looking at getting 4GB OCZ REAPER HPC PC6400 CL4....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

Will it OC well and will the MOBO work with all 4 DIMMs in use? Some reviews say it doesnt and the Tom's review says you just get lower FSB to it or lower core clock speed... Cant remember sorry lol!

But anyway, what I wana know is if its good RAM for OC.ing, with this mobo, and 4 or 8 GB? Oh yeah and should I go for the CL4 OR CL5 but with slightly higher clock speed? What will happen when I OC? Wont the core go higher then anyway? Will the LL still be better then? Coz the latency will have to go up as well when I OC right?

Thanks for any help! May the force be with you wise ones! lol

akhilles

Splendid
That just proves what I've been saying that there's no such things as identical parts in computing. Even the 2 parts are of the same make & model. They're not identical to us overclockers. That means there'll always be slight variations.

To the average user, yep, 2 parts can be identical.

Go with 2x2GB sticks. The frequency largely depends on the target overclock. You need to know your cpu, and a possible successful overclock. i.e. we know Q6600 can be o/ced to 3.6ghz. That is a good target. Now if you say, 5Ghz, that's an unrealistic target, unless you got phase change/LN2/DICE.

Google for your cpu's successful overclocks. Get a feel of the consensus. Shoot for the middle to upper maximums.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
The specs on that ram looks good, so are reviews, should do well in overclocking.

For reference, I use 8gb of this on EX38-DS4, runs stable on 4-3-3-12 timing at 800 and 6-5-5-18 at 1066:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144216

Timing and clock rate depends on your FSB. 1:1 ratio delivers best performance. Of course, try to get the tightest timing with 1:1 ratio achieved. For example, 1600mhz fsb = 4x400 -> 2x400 = 800mhz ddr2.

TRENDING THREADS