Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mazebat virus prevention

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 23, 2010 4:02:01 AM

Hello,

I have an Internet Cafe and I am seeing a lot of the Mazebat virus from customers using memory sticks. I have a laptop with Linux. I was wondering if using the memory device on the laptop first, so I can see the Mazebat files and delete them would be effective prevention.

I have antivirus that detects the virus repeated attempts to infect the machine but i cannot trust the customers to respond correctly to the popup. I found many clicking "ignore" which allows the virus to reside on the machine.

Thanks.
September 16, 2010 9:46:31 AM

Wolfe9128 said:
Hello,

I have an Internet Cafe and I am seeing a lot of the Mazebat virus from customers using memory sticks. I have a laptop with Linux. I was wondering if using the memory device on the laptop first, so I can see the Mazebat files and delete them would be effective prevention.

I have antivirus that detects the virus repeated attempts to infect the machine but i cannot trust the customers to respond correctly to the popup. I found many clicking "ignore" which allows the virus to reside on the machine.

Thanks.


1. Click the Windows "Start" menu and right-click "My Computer." Click "Properties" to launch the System Properties dialog box. Click the "System Restore" tab. Click the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and click "Apply." Click "Yes" and click "OK" to disable System Restore.

2. Launch your antivirus program and click the "Updates" or "Check for updates" button to install the latest updates. Refer to your antivirus program's documentation if you are unsure how to update your program. Run a full system scan and delete any malicious programs that your antivirus program detects.

3. Click the Windows "Start" menu and click "Run" or "Start Search." Type "regedit" and press "Enter" to launch the Registry Editor. Click the "Edit" menu and click "Find" to launch the search tool. Search for the following registry entries and delete them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\"ShowSuperHidden" = "0"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"Userinit" = "%System%\userinit,salo.exe"

4. Go to the Symantec Support page (see Resources) if you were unable to launch the registry in Step 3. Click the "UnHookExec.inf" file. When prompted, click "Save" and download the file to your desktop.

5. Right-click the "UnHookExec.inf" file on the desktop and click "Install." Allow the tool to run. When the process completes, re-enable System Restore in the System Properties dialog box.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 7:50:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Ricky but, it doesn't answer my question.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
September 26, 2010 6:36:15 AM

Wolfe9128 said:
Thanks for the reply Ricky but, it doesn't answer my question.


[#0005ff]Which do you suspect of giving your systems the virus - your customers' downloads or their memory sticks? If the sticks, insist thta they hand them to you on the way in to the cafe for scanning.[/#000ff]
m
0
l
October 3, 2010 2:09:18 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]Which do you suspect of giving your systems the virus - your customers' downloads or their memory sticks? If the sticks, insist thta they hand them to you on the way in to the cafe for scanning.[/#000ff]


Both are bringing in viruses. But I have found sticks with hundreds of viruses and malware etc. when I scan them. But this eats up time on the attendant's machine, especially when they have a 4 or 8 gig stick full of mp3's and photos. I am looking for an alternative that would work. My netbook has Linux and I can see all the hidden files and delete the recyclers, .vbs etc. The question is, is this effective? I dont want to buy a computer just to scan removable media and I dont want to reformat my netbook so I can install anti-virus.
m
0
l
!