How to transfer hard drive to new computer

rougefish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hello,
Wasn't sure where to post this made my best guess. Here are the facts: Both new and old computer are XP's (old professional, new home edition). Old computer died and Best Buy was able to retain data in a Hard Drive Enclosure Kit which is attached via USB to the new computer.

The old tower was a Compaq Presario S6300NX. New refurbished tower is Compaq Presario S3200NX.

Can I easily and seamlessly transfer the data, files, bookmark, software etc. from the external enclosure connected via USB to the new Hard Drive.

If so, how???

Thanks for any help I am not a techie, so I know nothing about Master/Slave relationships. Nor do I know how to take out a hard drive.

Please help!

DT

s4starb4boy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hmm! you can only transfer data not software.because software are installed on that hard drive in order to work with current or newly installed os you've to reinstall all those software.

just explore newly mounted volume (your external hard drive) what so ever it is or assigned by OS.

for My documents Data

Step1: go through C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Name Created on that OS here"\My Documents
Note: replace "c:\" to the letter assigned by newly mounted volume x,y,z etc..
Step2: just paste/override that folder to the same location of your existing installed OS.

for bookmarks
step1:go to C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Name Created on that OS here"\
Note: replace "c:\" to the letter assigned by newly mounted volume x,y,z etc..
Step:2 just copy the folder name "Favorites" which looks like star.
Step3: paste/override to the current drive's same location.

Hope the Answer