Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R - if more than 3 GB of RAM it won't post

Hi, I'm having a problem. I have a GA-P35-DS3R mobo. I have 4x1GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix 2G PC2-8500 RAM. I can put 3 of the sticks in, in any order, in any slots, and it will work. As soon as I put a 4th stick, the computer will not post. It powers on, the fan spins for a second, then it shuts off, then powers back on again a few seconds later. Again, it doesn't matter what slots the 3 sticks of RAM are in, so it's not a bad slot, and it doesn't matter what sticks of RAM I use, so none of the RAM is bad, and I have had it tested by the store where I bought it. All of it came back okay, no errors.

So, I'm left thinking it must be a bios setting or something? But I've looked through everywhere I could find and nothing seems wrong. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions. Thanks.

*edit* I'm running Windows XP x64, not that it matters, as it's not even posting.
5 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte ds3r post
  1. Increase RAM voltage. Be aware that DDR2 1066 RAM has some compatibility issues with P35-DS3x boards.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. What would you recommend I increase it to?
  3. The Ballastix usually need 2.2v so increase the RAM voltage by +.4. Since you are running 4*1GB you will need to set this to +.5v (2.3v).
  4. 2.2v is what Ballistix are rated for, I have a set myself and they won't POST in dual-channel until I raise the voltage to at least 1.9v, but I run them at their rated 2.2v at all times.
  5. As Shadow and Gravemind suggested, set your DDR2 Ram voltage to the 2.2. If you still cannot post then try raising your FSB voltage and your (G)MCH voltage by +0.1 volts.

I also have 4 x 1 Gig DDR2 but My MB is a Gigabyte P965-DQ6 will post with only the DDR2 voltage set to 2.1, But is not stable unless I rase both FSB and (G)MCH by +0.1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte RAM Motherboards