Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R - if more than 3 GB of RAM it won't post

Last response: in Motherboards
June 14, 2008 5:43:57 PM

Hi, I'm having a problem. I have a GA-P35-DS3R mobo. I have 4x1GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix 2G PC2-8500 RAM. I can put 3 of the sticks in, in any order, in any slots, and it will work. As soon as I put a 4th stick, the computer will not post. It powers on, the fan spins for a second, then it shuts off, then powers back on again a few seconds later. Again, it doesn't matter what slots the 3 sticks of RAM are in, so it's not a bad slot, and it doesn't matter what sticks of RAM I use, so none of the RAM is bad, and I have had it tested by the store where I bought it. All of it came back okay, no errors.

So, I'm left thinking it must be a bios setting or something? But I've looked through everywhere I could find and nothing seems wrong. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions. Thanks.

*edit* I'm running Windows XP x64, not that it matters, as it's not even posting.
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2008 5:57:45 PM

Increase RAM voltage. Be aware that DDR2 1066 RAM has some compatibility issues with P35-DS3x boards.
June 14, 2008 5:59:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. What would you recommend I increase it to?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2008 6:06:19 PM

The Ballastix usually need 2.2v so increase the RAM voltage by +.4. Since you are running 4*1GB you will need to set this to +.5v (2.3v).
June 14, 2008 6:08:22 PM

2.2v is what Ballistix are rated for, I have a set myself and they won't POST in dual-channel until I raise the voltage to at least 1.9v, but I run them at their rated 2.2v at all times.
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2008 6:46:44 PM

As Shadow and Gravemind suggested, set your DDR2 Ram voltage to the 2.2. If you still cannot post then try raising your FSB voltage and your (G)MCH voltage by +0.1 volts.

I also have 4 x 1 Gig DDR2 but My MB is a Gigabyte P965-DQ6 will post with only the DDR2 voltage set to 2.1, But is not stable unless I rase both FSB and (G)MCH by +0.1.
!