Problems with Gigabyte GA-P35

steve6t6

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Working with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3r mother board with 2Gb of Kingston Value ram (Cas3, 3200, DDR2) with a intel core 2 duo processor. 88000 GT graphics card also. Sata HDD and CD/DVD Rom.

The system won't instal any OS to completetion, XP Pro falls down at random points in device instalation, and if it makes it past that it never gets past completing instalation. Ubuntu gets normaly as far as the Hardwasre extraction layer, once it made it further but then presented an I/o error ( SR0_Logical block). Any suggestions on which piece of hardware is the culperit would be most welcome. Also I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest and still problem persists.

Best regards Steve

steve6t6

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
run Memtest for 6 hours and no problems. must be either faulty hardware or hardware incompatability. Any suggestions

steve6t6

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Tried the system with IDE HDD and CD Rom and still the same problem, That only leaves the Graphics card which doesn't fit the symptoms, is it a problem with my mother board settings, I set them to fail safe, Also I am using a 32 bit OS with a 64 Bit processor, could this be the culprit?

victordilorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008

no, 64bit processor is backward compatible with 32bit software.

I have seen this kind of problem caused by flaky hard and optical drives. I know that you said you also tried IDE drives, but can you borrow new drives to test the installation?

Something else you can try:
Take the drives for the new build and install them in another PC. Install Windows with same installation disk that you were using for the new build. Do the bare Windows installation - no extra drivers other than what Windows installs. If you can't install Windows, you have found your problem.

Then install the new drives in the new computer. Boot and see what happens. Hopefully, you will see Windows loading the drivers it needs. If this works, remember, you have not fixed the problem, merely sidestepped it. And if it doesn't work, it still may tell you something that you didn't know.

And before people write in and say that you can't do this, you can. You shouldn't, but you can. It works more often than not.

But if you are REALLY unlucky, you have a bad motherboard.