Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SLI gets no love from Intel!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 4, 2008 2:20:57 AM

LOL if Intel's gonna play around more often in the future nVidia dudes need to boycott Intel don't you all think?
Related resources
May 4, 2008 2:32:52 AM

romulus47plus1 said:
LOL if Intel's gonna play around more often in the future nVidia dudes need to boycott Intel don't you all think?

Can't do that. They'll be homeless. :na: 
May 4, 2008 2:51:26 AM

What is this computer market coming too?

Man i liked them days where we had AMD against Intel, and ATI against Nvidia in a nice linear competition.

Now AMD and ATI are merged, ATI is pushing out subpar products while AMD is falling on its knees, Intel is jumping into the GPU market and is pushing away Nvidia while Nvidia fights Intel...

........ I'm disliking Intel a lot. I really do hope they get their pride stabbed at because their pride is consuming them up.
May 4, 2008 3:02:03 AM

sacre said:
What is this computer market coming too?

Man i liked them days where we had AMD against Intel, and ATI against Nvidia in a nice linear competition.

Now AMD and ATI are merged, ATI is pushing out subpar products while AMD is falling on its knees, Intel is jumping into the GPU market and is pushing away Nvidia while Nvidia fights Intel...

........ I'm disliking Intel a lot. I really do hope they get their pride stabbed at because their pride is consuming them up.

I hope this hurts Nvidia. When Nvidia denied Intel's request to have x38/48 chipset support sli, in order to push their inferior 650i/680i chipsets, the consumers are the ones who suffered. It ought to teach Nvidia some respect for consumers.
May 4, 2008 3:16:02 AM

There is some real stupidity going on between Intel and Nvidia right now. It's ironic that Intel will again support its competitors product. I think its great, it will force people to buy ATI cards and continue to fuel the battle between card companies. I don't have a problem using Nvidia's motherboards. If Intel doesn't watch it, Nvidia will buy AMD and dump ATI then Intel will be left out to dry.
May 4, 2008 3:30:00 AM

dagger said:
I hope this hurts Nvidia. When Nvidia denied Intel's request to have x38/48 chipset support sli, in order to push their inferior 650i/680i chipsets, the consumers are the ones who suffered. It ought to teach Nvidia some respect for consumers.


Hmm Guess I didn't see it that way.
May 4, 2008 4:31:14 AM

Guess Nvidia isnt company of the year anymore. That'll teach em. Huang has uber-pride and verges on dictator status.

"If Intel doesn't watch it, Nvidia will buy AMD and dump ATI then Intel will be left out to dry."

Now that would be a very interesting possiblibty.
May 4, 2008 7:04:26 AM

Due to there is strong competition between Intel and Nvidia, they won't love each others now :(  , if AMD / ATI can be stronger in future they may love each other again. :lol: 
May 4, 2008 7:42:16 AM

dagger said:
I hope this hurts Nvidia. When Nvidia denied Intel's request to have x38/48 chipset support sli, in order to push their inferior 650i/680i chipsets, the consumers are the ones who suffered. It ought to teach Nvidia some respect for consumers.
I agree, they have some balls. What did they expect? Pompous bastards.
May 4, 2008 7:42:51 AM

cisco said:
If Intel doesn't watch it, Nvidia will buy AMD and dump ATI then Intel will be left out to dry.
In your dreams.
May 4, 2008 8:02:47 AM

I agree with dagger and zorg Nvidia should have not denied intels request considering that 90% (if not more) of SLI systems are Intel based. Nvidia should stop thinking the're unstoppable and start accelerating GPU production and talking with intel
May 4, 2008 8:09:43 AM

Who is gonna use Multi-GPU anyways?
I have better things in mind than running two 200W monsters...
May 4, 2008 8:12:16 AM

Ycon said:
Who is gonna use Multi-GPU anyways?
I have better things in mind than running two 200W monsters...
Agreed, even more reason why Nvidia are idiots.
May 4, 2008 9:12:53 AM

'May you live in interesting times' goes the old Chinese curse...

So Nvidia refuses to license it's SLI to Intel, now Intel refuses to license it's newest reference design to Nvidia. Sounds like two children in a playground arguing over sandboxes...

I really see no winners here, just losers of varying degrees, with we consumers losing the most of all.

Maybe Intel should have bought up ATI, they certainly could have weathered the capitol hit better than AMD, and they would then be in a much better position ti have a war with Nvidia.

As to Nvidia buying AMD? Fat chance. US won't let the technology ownership go overseas, and if by some fluke they did allow the xfer of technology, Intel would rescind it's x86 license.

IBM could buy AMD and ATI lock stock and barrel, and not even have to go very far into their cash reserves... But they won't. They have spent the last eight years or so restructuring into a services business for the most part, except for the very high end mainframe / clustered CPU businesses.

So to quote (Bob) Dylan, "the times they are a changin". Remains to be seen if the times will get better or worse.
May 4, 2008 9:34:47 AM

Dylan has too much angst for me. Intel will pee all over Nvidia, they will buckle, and all will be well with the world again :lol: 
May 4, 2008 9:38:54 AM

Guess who wins? AMD/ATI.
First, Intel supports ATI's technology.
ANd nVidia will be looking for AMD for some help,
Man I'm loving this.
Intel's taking this step to just try to kill of nVidia before any real war starts,
and AMD/ATI benefits(if they still survive when Nehalem comes out.)
May 4, 2008 11:09:17 AM

@ Sacre...Who said ATI cards are sub par? .....thats a Sacrilegious statement ... for example the 3870...though it performed a little slower, it released for $220 compared to the 8800GT for $250 (which was available for (>$300) for a good two months.... that way 3870 was as good as, or even better bang for buck than the 8800GT for quite a while .. and i think it still is, especially for the mass consumers. .......... And all this holds good only till this June, when the 4870 and its mean gang releases........ so the real subpar product for a long time was from Nvidia with their misbegotten 9800GTX and GX2. Yuck!!

Nvidia buying AMD?? I fell of my chair laughing....... AMD was the king until the 45nm Penryns came along...yes i know Intel is ahead just because of that ...but its not extremely ahead....i suspect AMD will catch up by q3/q4 2009 for sure....Nehalem is going to be expensive, so the mass consumer population ain't gonna get it till it gets cheaper....and that takes a long time.... now somebody might argue that even though Nehalem is gonna be expensive, the current Penryns would be cheaper then.........well AMD releases all of its products CHEAP!!... and not because they're inferior but because they don't cheat consumers.

And anyways Intel is favoring ATI so sux to Nvidia and its overblown mobos and underwhelming SLI.

ps: I'm not an AMD fanboy, just a perpetually p!ssed off consumer. I love my 8800GT though. :p 
May 4, 2008 11:46:57 AM

As per my message on the thread in CPUs...

I doubt that will ever happen!
Nvidia will chuck a bung Intel's way!
The irony though, Intel adopting Crossfire X as their preferred graphics platform and (if the article is true) Nvidia cosying up to AMD to allow SLi on their AM2+/AM3 platform! :lol: 
Who said AMD were in a weak position?! :lol:  :D 

a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 1:56:09 PM

Well, this has been going around for a while and if it actually happened it would be very bad for NVidia. At the same time it would be a bit of a shock if this happened ASSUMING NVidia still has the top cards. Does Intel know something about the R700 and GT200 that we don't? :lol: 
May 4, 2008 4:34:21 PM

croc said:
'May you live in interesting times' goes the old Chinese curse...

So Nvidia refuses to license it's SLI to Intel, now Intel refuses to license it's newest reference design to Nvidia. Sounds like two children in a playground arguing over sandboxes...

I really see no winners here, just losers of varying degrees, with we consumers losing the most of all.

Maybe Intel should have bought up ATI, they certainly could have weathered the capitol hit better than AMD, and they would then be in a much better position ti have a war with Nvidia.

As to Nvidia buying AMD? Fat chance. US won't let the technology ownership go overseas, and if by some fluke they did allow the xfer of technology, Intel would rescind it's x86 license.

IBM could buy AMD and ATI lock stock and barrel, and not even have to go very far into their cash reserves... But they won't. They have spent the last eight years or so restructuring into a services business for the most part, except for the very high end mainframe / clustered CPU businesses.

So to quote (Bob) Dylan, "the times they are a changin". Remains to be seen if the times will get better or worse.

Why not? The Us has let just about every manufacturing firm go overseas to exploit cheaper labor, and then to sell it back here for maximum profits. Places like China have virtually slave lobor and no human rights, its a shame. Anyway, the US is even starting to outsource its defense industry, next thing it will outsource the gov't.
May 4, 2008 4:52:40 PM

DarthPiggie said:
Why not? The Us has let just about every manufacturing firm go overseas to exploit cheaper labor, and then to sell it back here for maximum profits. Places like China have virtually slave lobor and no human rights, its a shame. Anyway, the US is even starting to outsource its defense industry, next thing it will outsource the gov't.

That's where you get the cheap hardware, silly. Children with little hands are perfect for soldering on those chips. :na: 
May 4, 2008 6:08:31 PM

now thats f'ed up, but true, and nothing to scoff at.
May 4, 2008 6:39:14 PM

DarthPiggie said:
Why not? The Us has let just about every manufacturing firm go overseas to exploit cheaper labor, and then to sell it back here for maximum profits. Places like China have virtually slave lobor and no human rights, its a shame. Anyway, the US is even starting to outsource its defense industry, next thing it will outsource the gov't.
Sad fact. The US is going to he!! in a hand basket.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 6:40:06 PM

I dont understand this undying love for one company over the other. Both Intel and nVidia are cheating their customers of a better gaming environment, period. Who are they to say just what we can buy from them? Are they elitists? Do they NOT want my money? Just keep it up Intel and nVidia, both your days are coming. And Im not referring to AMD either. Look people, we have the power here, cause we have the money, and in order to get our money, they have to produce something we will spend it on. By doing this, both Intel and nVidia have decided whats good for us. Gee, isnt that nice? Theyve decided how WE can spend OUR money. I say, Intel and nVidia, get your heads outta your collective @$$3$, and start acting like your deserve to do business with us, your faithful customers
May 4, 2008 6:40:08 PM

Zorg said:
Sad fact. The US is going to he!! in a hand basket.

We're gonna need better cooling. Heard it's warm there this time of the year.
May 4, 2008 6:41:12 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I dont understand this undying love for one company over the other. Both Intel and nVidia are cheating their customers of a better gaming environment, period. Who are they to say just what we can buy from them? Are they elitists? Do they NOT want my money? Just keep it up Intel and nVidia, both your days are coming. And Im not referring to AMD either. Look people, we have the power here, cause we have the money, and in order to get our money, they have to produce something we will spend it on. By doing this, both Intel and nVidia have decided whats good for us. Gee, isnt that nice? Theyve decided how WE can spend OUR money. I say, Intel and nVidia, get your heads outta your collective @$$3$, and start acting like your deserve to do business with us, your faithful customers



Yeah! Boycott them all! :na: 
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 6:47:04 PM

What Im saying is, as soon as anything comes along thats competitive, and theyve pulled this crap on us, whos going to stay loyal to a company that refuses to do best business with its own customers?
May 4, 2008 6:48:34 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
What Im saying is, as soon as anything comes along thats competitive, and theyve pulled this crap on us, whos going to stay loyal to a company that refuses to do best business with its own customers?

They're milking the cow until it dies. Everyone does it. It's called greed, the fundation of capitalism. :p 
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 6:55:36 PM

History shows us that this attitude allows for competition, excluding your customers. or more simply, not being able to give then what they want. I know they can, if they wanted to, but they choose not to, despite us, their customers. When a customer base is snubbed, or left wanting, it allows for other players to fill the gap. The logical choice is AMD, but that isnt the only one. If this keeps going, there far bigger players thatll start smelling opportunity here if it doesnt change
May 4, 2008 8:27:26 PM

dagger said:
They're milking the cow until it dies. Everyone does it. It's called greed, the fundation of capitalism. :p 

What do you expect from an economic system that feeds off of people's greed and selfish ambitions?
May 4, 2008 8:27:50 PM

not to mention war too, and suffering.
May 4, 2008 8:33:59 PM

Zorg said:
Sad fact. The US is going to he!! in a hand basket.


Americans can thank both junior and senior Bush for the basket. And beauty queen Clownduhlezza Rice too.
May 4, 2008 8:44:32 PM

mihirkula said:
Americans can thank both junior and senior Bush for the basket. And beauty queen Clownduhlezza Rice too.

Junior Bush? Yo mean "Bush the Lesser." :na: 
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 9:11:25 PM

Im thinking if someone took out the kremlin, and the 2 largest buildings in Russia, and they reacted, even poorly, people wouldnt like their response either. For that matter, you could just fill in the blank for any countries name. And I dont completely buy into this hollowood greed thing either. No ones making anyone buy any of these products, ands as far as I know, we dont need them to survive. If you dont like what theyre doing, buy something else. Its not the evil corporations vs us little guys. We have the power to decide how our money is spent. If you want to be treated better, then go where you will be treated better, and like I said, if this continues, the market will open up for just this very thing
May 4, 2008 9:14:48 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Im thinking if someone took out the kremlin, and the 2 largest buildings in Russia, and they reacted, even poorly, people wouldnt like their response either. For that matter, you could just fill in the blank for any countries name. And I dont completely buy into this hollowood greed thing either. No ones making anyone buy any of these products, ands as far as I know, we dont need them to survive. If you dont like what theyre doing, buy something else. Its not the evil corporations vs us little guys. We have the power to decide how our money is spent. If you want to be treated better, then go where you will be treated better, and like I said, if this continues, the market will open up for just this very thing

You have the power to decide how your money is spent. You don't have the power to decide how the pizzaface kid next door spends his money. As long as he still buys teh 1337 9800gtx, they can still milk it. :na: 
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 9:23:40 PM

Sad but true. But remember this, that pizza faced kid is very impressionable, and he goes where the trends go
May 4, 2008 9:31:41 PM

mihirkula said:
Americans can thank both junior and senior Bush for the basket. And beauty queen Clownduhlezza Rice too.

Dont forget that heartless muthafucka Dick Cheney
May 4, 2008 10:11:23 PM

mihirkula said:
Americans can thank both junior and senior Bush for the basket. And beauty queen Clownduhlezza Rice too.
The problems that the US is facing now have been coming about since the 70s, learn your history.
May 4, 2008 10:12:17 PM

yea and since Reagan brough elements of Fascism into play here
May 4, 2008 10:12:24 PM

DarthPiggie said:
Dont forget that heartless muthafucka Dick Cheney
You also learn some history.
May 4, 2008 10:15:04 PM

DarthPiggie said:
What do you expect from an economic system that feeds off of people's greed and selfish ambitions?
Just a guess, but are you a Marxist? Because if you are, then let me clue you, it doesn't work on even the most basic level.
May 4, 2008 10:19:09 PM

DarthPiggie said:
yea and since Reagan brough elements of Fascism into play here
You are a clown. And it started well before Reagan. I said seventies, Reagan was 1981. You don't even understand that Reagan was responsible for breaking the Stagflation left by the buffoon Carter. The word stagflation was coined specifically for him, It had never occurred before in history. So get your facts straight.
May 4, 2008 10:23:18 PM

Jimmy Carter was no baffoon, he knew how to work the system quite well thank you.
May 4, 2008 10:23:43 PM

and no need to throw insults at people who disagree with you.
May 4, 2008 10:24:29 PM

besides, we were **** since 1913 when the 16tha amendment was "ratified" and the Federal Reserve banking system was created.
May 4, 2008 10:32:49 PM

^...watch the language mate...this is a clean forum...the codeword for "M*********" is "9800GX2" :p 

Zorg...LMAO...the "problems" started when Columbus set foot on a red indian's a$$, and never stopped. The real probs started when Bushy set foot Saddam's toe ... and then Clowndullezza, Dick and Jr Bushy set foot on each others toes and ended up screwing up the most important economy in the world.

And he still has the bollox to tell India to cut ties with Iran so that Hillary Squinton can attck Iran..lmfao
!