SLI gets no love from Intel!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, that's gonna hurt. I suppose it's Intel's way of getting back at Nvidia for not giving premission for x38/48 chipsets to support sli, in order to promote their own motherboard chipset (650i/680i/780i).

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Can't do that. They'll be homeless. :na:

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
What is this computer market coming too?

Man i liked them days where we had AMD against Intel, and ATI against Nvidia in a nice linear competition.

Now AMD and ATI are merged, ATI is pushing out subpar products while AMD is falling on its knees, Intel is jumping into the GPU market and is pushing away Nvidia while Nvidia fights Intel...

........ I'm disliking Intel a lot. I really do hope they get their pride stabbed at because their pride is consuming them up.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

I hope this hurts Nvidia. When Nvidia denied Intel's request to have x38/48 chipset support sli, in order to push their inferior 650i/680i chipsets, the consumers are the ones who suffered. It ought to teach Nvidia some respect for consumers.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
There is some real stupidity going on between Intel and Nvidia right now. It's ironic that Intel will again support its competitors product. I think its great, it will force people to buy ATI cards and continue to fuel the battle between card companies. I don't have a problem using Nvidia's motherboards. If Intel doesn't watch it, Nvidia will buy AMD and dump ATI then Intel will be left out to dry.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

Hmm Guess I didn't see it that way.

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Guess Nvidia isnt company of the year anymore. That'll teach em. Huang has uber-pride and verges on dictator status.

"If Intel doesn't watch it, Nvidia will buy AMD and dump ATI then Intel will be left out to dry."

Now that would be a very interesting possiblibty.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Due to there is strong competition between Intel and Nvidia, they won't love each others now :( , if AMD / ATI can be stronger in future they may love each other again. :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I agree, they have some balls. What did they expect? Pompous bastards.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
I agree with dagger and zorg Nvidia should have not denied intels request considering that 90% (if not more) of SLI systems are Intel based. Nvidia should stop thinking the're unstoppable and start accelerating GPU production and talking with intel

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Agreed, even more reason why Nvidia are idiots.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
'May you live in interesting times' goes the old Chinese curse...

So Nvidia refuses to license it's SLI to Intel, now Intel refuses to license it's newest reference design to Nvidia. Sounds like two children in a playground arguing over sandboxes...

I really see no winners here, just losers of varying degrees, with we consumers losing the most of all.

Maybe Intel should have bought up ATI, they certainly could have weathered the capitol hit better than AMD, and they would then be in a much better position ti have a war with Nvidia.

As to Nvidia buying AMD? Fat chance. US won't let the technology ownership go overseas, and if by some fluke they did allow the xfer of technology, Intel would rescind it's x86 license.

IBM could buy AMD and ATI lock stock and barrel, and not even have to go very far into their cash reserves... But they won't. They have spent the last eight years or so restructuring into a services business for the most part, except for the very high end mainframe / clustered CPU businesses.

So to quote (Bob) Dylan, "the times they are a changin". Remains to be seen if the times will get better or worse.

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
Guess who wins? AMD/ATI.
First, Intel supports ATI's technology.
ANd nVidia will be looking for AMD for some help,
Man I'm loving this.
Intel's taking this step to just try to kill of nVidia before any real war starts,
and AMD/ATI benefits(if they still survive when Nehalem comes out.)

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
@ Sacre...Who said ATI cards are sub par? .....thats a Sacrilegious statement ... for example the 3870...though it performed a little slower, it released for $220 compared to the 8800GT for $250 (which was available for (>$300) for a good two months.... that way 3870 was as good as, or even better bang for buck than the 8800GT for quite a while .. and i think it still is, especially for the mass consumers. .......... And all this holds good only till this June, when the 4870 and its mean gang releases........ so the real subpar product for a long time was from Nvidia with their misbegotten 9800GTX and GX2. Yuck!!

Nvidia buying AMD?? I fell of my chair laughing....... AMD was the king until the 45nm Penryns came along...yes i know Intel is ahead just because of that ...but its not extremely ahead....i suspect AMD will catch up by q3/q4 2009 for sure....Nehalem is going to be expensive, so the mass consumer population ain't gonna get it till it gets cheaper....and that takes a long time.... now somebody might argue that even though Nehalem is gonna be expensive, the current Penryns would be cheaper then.........well AMD releases all of its products CHEAP!!... and not because they're inferior but because they don't cheat consumers.

And anyways Intel is favoring ATI so sux to Nvidia and its overblown mobos and underwhelming SLI.

ps: I'm not an AMD fanboy, just a perpetually p!ssed off consumer. I love my 8800GT though. :p

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
As per my message on the thread in CPUs...

I doubt that will ever happen!
Nvidia will chuck a bung Intel's way!
The irony though, Intel adopting Crossfire X as their preferred graphics platform and (if the article is true) Nvidia cosying up to AMD to allow SLi on their AM2+/AM3 platform! :lol:
Who said AMD were in a weak position?! :lol: :D

Well, this has been going around for a while and if it actually happened it would be very bad for NVidia. At the same time it would be a bit of a shock if this happened ASSUMING NVidia still has the top cards. Does Intel know something about the R700 and GT200 that we don't? :lol:

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008

Why not? The Us has let just about every manufacturing firm go overseas to exploit cheaper labor, and then to sell it back here for maximum profits. Places like China have virtually slave lobor and no human rights, its a shame. Anyway, the US is even starting to outsource its defense industry, next thing it will outsource the gov't.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That's where you get the cheap hardware, silly. Children with little hands are perfect for soldering on those chips. :na: