Poll: do you care about CPU power use?

Do you you consider CPU power consumption when choosing a CPU?

• No, even the biggest power hog CPU won't affect my power bill.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No, I live in a cold climate and want global warming soon.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No, I don't pay for power.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No, I love spending money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, otherwise I would have to buy a room heater.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes, I'm worried about global warming.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Yes, power costs me a lot.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Yes, I don't want the computer to get too hot.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Yes, otherwise my room gets too hot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only because it means I might be able to overclock it more.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Unless you have the thing overclocked and running flat out you arent going to notice a difference in power bill with one computer. I went for no, i dont pay the bills, cause i dont but i wouldnt care if i had to either

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
My vote : Yes, I don't want the computer to get too hot.
Passive cooled CPUs should make a comeback. :)
And someone remake Zalman's passive cooled case ... but make it less of an eyesore. The price is also a bit of a sore. :)

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
The forum says I voted already. If it didn't count ... excrement happens. This forum "revision" has so many "random features" it makes me happy I can post at all. :heink:

mrmez

Splendid
Notice how nobody gives a flying fk about global warming.

I TRY to be aware of my global footprint, but its just so hard sometimes.
5.7L v8 muscle car, 4WD, speed boat, road bike (pictured), race bike, quad cores... you get the point?

Its like i wanna be environmentally friendly, but i dont wanna live like a poor bitch either.

Sadly most of the developed world think the exact same way.

I care to the point of too much heat. Its like leaving a nightlight on for the difference, so who cares. If I were the owner of a huge number crunching company, then yes , but since Im not, let them worry about it

Poopsmasher

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Im glad there is some interest in the whole power consuption thing, I started the other thread asking if people really care about a small difference in cpu thurst.

I just dont care, rolli59 said they care about performance more than power consuption, i agree.

If you can afford a power hungry then surely you dont mind spending and extra 20 dollars a year on power, he he - im sure my numbers are way off but you know what i mean...

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Well, the options were a bit odd, so I'll explain mine. I voted "Yes, I don't want my computer to get too hot". Because I have 3 PC's in the living room (we're PC centric, not TV centric), I like to have them running as cool as possible.

That's why I have an Antec Nine Hundred case and why I'm currently still using a 65 watt Athlon X2. No way would I go with a 125 watt Phenom. The most I'd go for is a 95 watt 8750 right now.

Do I worry about the electric bills? I worry more about stable computing and cool running PC's.

Ideally, I prefer 65 watt PC's, good graphics cards that deliver but also power down when not being used to the full, well rated PSU's and reliable UPC's.

I also don't overclock. I also am solely responsible for the bills, which is why I'm always reminding my 7 year old to turn off his PC when he's not using it, or to turn off the TV when he turns off the Gamecube.

Know what I really want? LED lighting to replace mercury using CFL's.

Well, I try to be green. Don't even own or drive a car. Walk to work and take mass transit otherwise (with the occasional cab). No matter how green I am, since I live in Texas, I have a large carbon footprint. All those coal fired plants.

You could drive a hummer in Vermont and still be green when your state's ratings are added to the mix, but you could drive a prius and recycle everything like you're on a mission to Mars but still be a polluter if you live in Texas or Nevada.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Yes, at same performance of course less power consumption is preferred over high power consumption but the vote item is too specific and only single choice so was not voted.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
If it performs great, runs cool and doesn't cause horrible noise, it's power consumption is irrelevant for me. I've been running my Q6600 for six months 24/7 and the powerbill hasn't really changed so that's that.
It might when I run my AC over the summer but I don't think the computer will have much to do with that.

From what Kill-a-watts say 3 classic 75W lightbulbs need more energy than a quadcore at prime95 load anyway. I changed those bulbs for the "energy efficient" <10W editions about 3 years ago anyway.

The electricity bill is always under 20EUR for 46sqm(~500sqft). My car consumes 6.7l/100km (~35mpg) but I live in Europe so it's quite average. :)

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I really don't give a damn.

My primary concern for all my PCs is that they run as stably as possible.

Next, they have to be overclocked/running as fast as possible while maintaining stability.

Other than that, I don't give a damn what label is on it, or how many environments I am killing. They all run 24-7 and I will not be changing this anytime soon.

I will say however, that my front room having nearly 3000W of computers in, NEVER gets cold all year round, and in fact has the aircon on most of the year.

I love it :)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Transfer to an oil rig off the Gulf coast and you'll start to care very quickly! :lol:

I've never gotten used to the heat down here. It's like a whole new world when I travel back home. I can get on the plane here where it's 103 and get off the plane there where it's 83.

lordmetroid

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

As a highly educated person, I find the field of long term weather prediction to be to politicized to be able to perform any unbiased results. At this point I find the claim of global warming to be nothing but communist fear mongering to get power.

I don't give a flippin' about global warming. Technology and development is wonderful! Give me the latest tech and if it happens to as a side effect to be more energy efficient and getting more computational powers out of it. I don't complain but that energy consumption isn't a primary concern of mine! :sleep:

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I live on my own and i pay my own bill's I voted yes just to keep my computer cooler...

When i choose a CPU i look at the power consumption becuase a lower power cpu is usually a newer stepping and run's more efficient. But aslo becuase i do not want a hot block of air in my case! I would like to keep temp's and noise down as much as possible.

I leave my rig on at night so windows and my anitvirus can update and so my antivirus can run a full system scan..

But in the morning before work i power it down becuase there is no reason for it too be running doing nothing. Not becuase i care about my power bill.

And yes i know im running a 125w CPU....But if i could find one of those 95w ones i would have got it!

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Amen, brudda.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

Exactly Right! talk to elderly and they will tell you the weather has not changed a bit, Global warming is more **** than anything i have ever heard.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Not questioning the effects, just the cause.

The polar ice caps are melting on Mars... AFAIK there are no SUVs up there.