M2V sound card query

RazorEdge

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Hey all, I´ve got an issue with the onboard sound (Realtek HD ACLC660) on the VIA K8T90somethin´ mobo. I recently upgraded the GPU from an X1900GT to a Geforce 9800GTX and I´m now experiencing sound crackling and popping with the much higher graphics settings I can attain (frame rates are usually fine btw, tested in Stalker, Arma, WiC, SHIV and FSX). So I´m presuming it´s to do with processor limits reached and thus sound degrading, problem is, I´ve not much room in the box left. Short story, the only real PCI slot that´s accessible for a dedicated soundcard (ordered a SBLive Audigy, I´m only spending enough to get rid of the crackly sound), is PCI slot 4, which currently houses the ASUS TV WDM card, which I have never actually used afaik. So is it possible to just remove this and put the sound card in it´s place? Or will it affect other parts of the system if it´s missing (currently nothing is plugged in the rear outlets). Slot 3 has the modem, and the rest are all covered by the behemoth Geforce, so they´re not useable.

I also wanted to know about the actual installation requirements, since I´m not very good with this stuff (rough idea but no practical experience). When the Geforce went in, it turned out to need 2 power supplies or cables(?) running into it, am I now going to be short a cable for the sound card? Or will the card not require one?

This is the rig, AMD 64X2 6000+, Geforce9800GTX with 2G RAM. No SLI or anything, but it is fairly compact in there lol. Any help or work arounds with or without a new card appreciated, thx!

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I recommend using CPU-Z to figure out the exact motherboard model (for future reference).

If you don't use the TV Tuner card (or whatever it is) you can remove it, yes.

Installing the audigy should present no problems. It doesn't need PCIE graphics power cables. Make sure you only touch the cards by the PCB edges and touch the case during installation for grounding.

Good luck.