Sign in with
Your question

Building new PC. Need help getting started.

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2008 11:09:04 PM

I build a system a few years ago and I feel as though its getting dated. I'd like to build a new one and pass my old one along to my little brother as a gift to him for the summer, but I'm seriously out of the loop on the new technology and compatabilities.

From some very minor research I've found that either the Intel E8400 or Q6600 seem to be the processors to go with, but thats only a small portion of finalizing a PC.

If someone could make me some suggestions on a solid gaming PC for no more than $1500 that'd be great.

More about : building started

April 22, 2008 11:55:25 PM

Well... if you want us to build it for you just say so. Otherwise with what you've posted so far all I can really say is that both of those procs are good choices. With the Q6600 coming down in price and support available for it it's a good option. It's a great overclocker too. The E8400 is one of my particular favorites being one of the fastes duals available. I would opt for one of them if you like to overclock and game. A Q6600 might keep you going for a few years though. However being so old I would look into the Q9300 maybe.
A good motherboard is the next step. X48 chipset from Intel might be a good place to start. The P35 chipset is also great "proven" performance. If you want dual Nvidia cards like I did the 780i/790i are great boards. I like companies like Asus, EVGA, MSI, and gigabyte. Also I would buy DFI, and Abit. Stick with those companies and one of the metioned chipsets and you should be good to go.
For GPU the 9800GTX is coming down in price and is a great performer. If you are on a budget you cant beat the 8800GT price right now.
Memory... Get whatever your board specifies. A good 2X2gb set of DDR2 800 or DDR3 1333 should get you started dependent upon what board you get (X38/X48 come in DDR3 and DDR2 flavours while 790i is specifically DDR3... Foxconn X38A is a board that gives you options)
Good luck and keep on asking!
April 23, 2008 7:57:25 PM

What are the exact uses of this pc?

Will it be overclocked?

How long will it be kept?
Related resources
April 25, 2008 2:00:34 PM

akhilles said:
What are the exact uses of this pc?

Will it be overclocked?

How long will it be kept?

Used mostly for gaming and some general PC use (e-mail, word processing, web browsing).

Would like to keep it for the next 2-3 years.

If throwing together a new build is something you guys enjoy, let's see what you can put together.
April 25, 2008 6:16:27 PM

srhill10 said:
Used mostly for gaming and some general PC use (e-mail, word processing, web browsing).

Would like to keep it for the next 2-3 years.

If throwing together a new build is something you guys enjoy, let's see what you can put together.

Sorry buddy... not quite enthusiastic enough. Just buy a DELL! :kaola: 
April 26, 2008 2:01:07 PM

Depending on what kinds of games you play. If it's full-blown 3D, you'll need a good gaming card. If it's 2D card games, you can use intergrated graphics. This list should get you started:

E8400
Freezer 7 Pro
GA-EX38-DQ6
PC2-6400 1X4GB or 2X2GB
8800GTS 512MB
Cooler Master CM-690 Dominator
Corsair HX 620W Power Supply
500GB-1TB SATA II hard disk
ASUS DVD writer
!