Vivendi Conspiracy against Tribes 2

All,

I’ve watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is That
I’m still not sweet.

Now… I’ve changes my Target to
“C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe –online” and my Start is in
“C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData” with still no joy. Result is that Sierra says
that there are no updates

Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?

TKS

More about vivendi conspiracy tribes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    That
    > I'm still not sweet.
    >

    > Now. I've changes my Target to
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that Sierra
    says
    > that there are no updates
    >

    > Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?
    >

    > TKS

    Download defense turret like the others have suggested. Launching it skips
    the fubar update. Then enjoy, and don't mind Mr. K, he's just a little
    cranky sometimes.

    Stoney Pony
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    > That I'm still not sweet.
    >

    > Now. I've changes my Target to
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that Sierra
    > says that there are no updates
    >

    > Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?
    >

    > TKS

    The auto update obstacle is actually a test provided by Vivendi to prevent
    stupid people from playing Tribes 2. You have failed the test. Please
    uninstall Tribes 2 and go buy CS.

    Quixote
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

    > "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    >> That I'm still not sweet.
    >>

    >> Now. I've changes my Target to
    >> "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    >> "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that Sierra
    >> says that there are no updates
    >>

    >> Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?
    >>

    >> TKS

    > The auto update obstacle is actually a test provided by Vivendi to prevent
    > stupid people from playing Tribes 2. You have failed the test. Please
    > uninstall Tribes 2 and go buy CS.
    >
    > Quixote

    Perhaps that was a bit harsh. There are stupid people on TWL too, but this
    seems to have helped them:

    http://www.teamwarfare.com/forums/showthread.asp?forumid=4&threadid=218050

    Quixote
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    > That I'm still not sweet.
    >

    > Now. I've changes my Target to
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that Sierra
    > says that there are no updates
    >

    > Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?

    oh god just download defence turret. www.triben.de
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    What he said ^

    --
    Which is worse, thinking you're paranoid or knowing that you should be?
    http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=Don%5FTen

    Alternately : C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\tribes2.exe -online
    You're still pointing at the update.exe which is null and void and has been
    since the last patch.
    Download defence turret as recommended by Adrian and use the above path.

    --
    Which is worse, thinking you're paranoid or knowing that you should be?
    http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=Don%5FTen
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:31:04 GMT, Don Ten wrote:

    > Alternately : C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\tribes2.exe -online
    > You're still pointing at the update.exe which is null and void and has been
    > since the last patch.

    But we've told that to the original poster several times.

    .... hence this current thread. :/

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

    Zappa's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > All,
    > I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    > That I'm still not sweet.
    > Now, I've changes my Target to
    > C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online and my Start is in
    > C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\ with still no joy. Result is that
    > Sierra says that there are no updates
    > Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?

    Its a quite simple process.

    Step 1 - Firmly grab only your legs and use them as leverage to pull your
    head from your anus.
    Step 2 - Learn to read
    Step 3 - change the link target to C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2
    -Online
    Step 4 - Install Defense Turret
    Step 5 - find the tallest building you can, and jump off of it until one
    satisfactorily reached one's own death.

    Please repeat as needed.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Andy Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:
    > Download defense turret like the others have suggested. Launching it skips
    > the fubar update. Then enjoy, and don't mind Mr. K, he's just a little
    > cranky sometimes.

    If he'd bother to read the posts from his last two threads, he'd have
    received his answer numerous times. Mr K is fully in the right to act that
    way, so don't coddle the twat and apologize for how everyone is treating
    him.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:37:26 -0400, Andy Smith wrote:

    > Patience is a virtue my friend. I personally have struggled a long time with
    > simple problems on occasion. It happens to the best of us.

    True, but asking for help about a subject for a third time is more than
    just an annoyance... especially when the original poster's been told what
    to do right from the start.

    > The man just wants to play T2. If it's too much trouble for you to help
    > him...then don't.

    Read his past posts in here. You'll notice help being given by myself.

    > In short: quit yer bitchin...help or just be quiet.

    To ask for help for a third time, on an identical subject (not similar...
    identical)... that really does test peoples patience. It becomes apparent
    that either the person asking for help isn't listening, or they're simply
    doing this for some perverse amusement of their own.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Zappa wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I’ve watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is That
    > I’m still not sweet.
    >

    > Now… I’ve changes my Target to
    > “C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe –online” and my Start is in
    > “C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData” with still no joy. Result is that Sierra says
    > that there are no updates

    Wrong .exe. Actually READ what others are telling you.

    Hmm. Obtuseness well past the point of annoyance, sarcasm, anonymous
    posting... Zagadka? :)
    --
    Frank
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Zappa wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point
    > is That I'm still not sweet.
    >

    > Now. I've changes my Target to
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    > "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that
    > Sierra says that there are no updates
    >

    > Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?
    >

    > TKS

    Thrasher!!! He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

    :D

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:37:26 -0400, Andy Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Patience is a virtue my friend. I personally have struggled a long
    >> time with simple problems on occasion. It happens to the best of us.
    >
    > True, but asking for help about a subject for a third time is more
    > than just an annoyance... especially when the original poster's been
    > told what to do right from the start.
    >
    >> The man just wants to play T2. If it's too much trouble for you to
    >> help him...then don't.
    >
    > Read his past posts in here. You'll notice help being given by myself.
    >
    >> In short: quit yer bitchin...help or just be quiet.
    >
    > To ask for help for a third time, on an identical subject (not
    > similar... identical)... that really does test peoples patience. It
    > becomes apparent that either the person asking for help isn't
    > listening, or they're simply doing this for some perverse amusement
    > of their own.

    And besides, Andy, this is the weasel who went Taz on
    Hellmark for being *specific*!!!!

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Quixote wrote:
    > The auto update obstacle is actually a test provided by Vivendi to
    > prevent stupid people from playing Tribes 2. You have failed the
    > test. Please uninstall Tribes 2 and go buy CS.
    >
    > Quixote

    ROFLMFAO

    Ah jeez, thanks dude. I've got a terrible tension headache
    and a good laugh helped a bit. :)

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > And others become vicious when
    > they, or other regulars, are attacked.

    That's me!!!! :D

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 22 Apr 2005 07:15:12 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >> And others become vicious when
    >> they, or other regulars, are attacked.
    >

    > That's me!!!! :D

    You are, indeed, the one I had in mind when writing that. :)

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:01:14 -0400, Polarhound
    <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:

    >If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.

    Oh, that looks like a non-specific attack on a regular or regulars of
    this newsgroup! Someone better set this polarhound bloke straight!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:01:14 -0400, Polarhound
    > <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
    >
    > Oh, that looks like a non-specific attack on a regular or regulars of
    > this newsgroup!

    Either you're being Sarcastic, or you're considering Zappa a regular.

    > Someone better set this polarhound bloke straight!

    This Polarhound bloke, however, I've seen around for a while. First post
    back in 12-04-2004, if my Thunderbird does not deceive me. Which means
    he should've quoted, of course.

    So I guess you ARE being sarcastic. Damnit.
    --
    Frank
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:26:56 +0200, Frank van Schie
    <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:01:14 -0400, Polarhound
    >> <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
    >>
    >> Oh, that looks like a non-specific attack on a regular or regulars of
    >> this newsgroup!
    >
    >Either you're being Sarcastic, or you're considering Zappa a regular.
    >
    >> Someone better set this polarhound bloke straight!
    >
    >This Polarhound bloke, however, I've seen around for a while. First post
    >back in 12-04-2004, if my Thunderbird does not deceive me. Which means
    >he should've quoted, of course.
    >
    >So I guess you ARE being sarcastic. Damnit.

    :D

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    > Smeghead wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:01:14 -0400, Polarhound
    >> <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
    >>

    >> Oh, that looks like a non-specific attack on a regular or regulars of
    >> this newsgroup!
    >

    > Either you're being Sarcastic, or you're considering Zappa a regular.
    >
    >> Someone better set this polarhound bloke straight!
    >

    > This Polarhound bloke, however, I've seen around for a while. First post
    > back in 12-04-2004, if my Thunderbird does not deceive me. Which means
    > he should've quoted, of course.
    >
    > So I guess you ARE being sarcastic. Damnit.

    Actually, long long long before that.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Probably should mention that I went by Kodiak back then.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

    > "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've watched my last two post descend into OT with amusement. Point is
    >> That I'm still not sweet.
    >>

    >> Now. I've changes my Target to
    >> "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe -online" and my Start is in
    >> "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData" with still no joy. Result is that Sierra
    >> says that there are no updates
    >>

    >> Does anyone have a way I can avoid the auto update?
    >>

    >> TKS

    > The auto update obstacle is actually a test provided by Vivendi to prevent
    > stupid people from playing Tribes 2. You have failed the test. Please
    > uninstall Tribes 2 and go buy CS.
    >
    > Quixote

    I thought T2 was, in fact, a game for stupid people:

    A one hit kill weapon that homes in on targets?

    Yeah.

    And to top it off... that weapon is useless!

    Heh-heh.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    >>So I guess you ARE being sarcastic. Damnit.
    >
    > :D

    On the plus side, I just found out that my newsserver has text-article
    retention for this group going backwards to june 2003. I can read
    articles from 2003. That is just 1337!
    --
    Frank
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Frank van Schie" <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in message
    > Smeghead wrote:
    >>>So I guess you ARE being sarcastic. Damnit.
    >>
    >> :D
    >
    > On the plus side, I just found out that my newsserver has text-article
    > retention for this group going backwards to june 2003. I can read articles
    > from 2003. That is just 1337!
    > --
    > Frank

    Mine doesn't.

    HOW COOL IS THAT?!
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

    > Mine doesn't.
    >
    > HOW COOL IS THAT?!

    I'd say it was cool if the news server had a weeks retention time (binary
    posts not included... that would be unfair).

    Btw, BTi's news server messages *still* don't propagate fully. The funny
    thing is, the servers were dropping random posts on a regular basis two
    years ago. It actually became an accepted thing in BTi-land... usenet
    regulars being unable to follow newsgroup threads completely due to
    missing posts.

    Please tell me BTi have actually plugged in their backup 286 (complete
    with the top-of-the-range 20MB HDD) server?

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > I'd say it was cool if the news server had a weeks retention time (binary
    > posts not included... that would be unfair).

    Mine has about a month's binary retention, all complete. Sometimes more.

    Gnehehehe.

    > Btw, BTi's news server messages *still* don't propagate fully. The funny
    > thing is, the servers were dropping random posts on a regular basis two
    > years ago. It actually became an accepted thing in BTi-land... usenet
    > regulars being unable to follow newsgroup threads completely due to
    > missing posts.
    >
    > Please tell me BTi have actually plugged in their backup 286 (complete
    > with the top-of-the-range 20MB HDD) server?

    My ISP gave up on running its own ISP, and uses an external news
    provider. Works wonders.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Polarhound wrote:
    > Probably should mention that I went by Kodiak back then.

    Don't have a Kodiak in my massively huge list of messages. Hmm.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    > Polarhound wrote:
    >
    >> Probably should mention that I went by Kodiak back then.
    >

    > Don't have a Kodiak in my massively huge list of messages. Hmm.

    I doubled checked Google to see when I first came in here.. The oldest
    message is has is from 3/01, although I do remember being in here before
    then. I had already changed my nick to my current one by then.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Polarhound wrote:
    > If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.

    One wonders to whom this is directed.

    Being from Polarhound, it must be to the irksome idiot
    who can't read. I'll read on and see..............

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    > Polarhound wrote:
    >
    >>If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
    >

    > One wonders to whom this is directed.
    >
    > Being from Polarhound, it must be to the irksome idiot
    > who can't read. I'll read on and see..............

    Of course it was, which is why I used an old insult instead of coming up
    with something newer.. He wasn't worth the effort.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    > My ISP gave up on running its own ISP, and uses an external news
    > provider. Works wonders.

    I gave up completely and finally paid to get my precious
    clipart & animation groups. So when the free German server
    switched to paid this month, I just added my text groups to
    my list of binary groups.
    I'd have paid for the German server if I wasn't already
    happy with this one. I do, however, HATE the ad that's
    at the bottom of every post.

    But binary retention on this Galaxy server is almost two
    months, so I'm a happy camper. :)

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:24:37 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

    > Mine has about a month's binary retention, all complete. Sometimes more.
    >
    > Gnehehehe.

    Not bad.

    > My ISP gave up on running its own ISP, and uses an external news
    > provider. Works wonders.

    With no extra charge? That's good. I'm not aware of any UK ISP that does
    such a thing.

    The ISP I was on about in my previous reply, they once had the bollocks to
    tell their sufferers to use an external news provider (with no drop in
    subscription rates to themselves). The external news provider they were
    recomending was an additional service offered by another ISP... and those
    wanting to use that additional service had to cough up for that as well.

    The last I heard of *that* 'additional service' is that it began to fall
    over, due to oversubscription... from users from a certain ISP.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
    >
    >> Mine doesn't.
    >>
    >> HOW COOL IS THAT?!
    >
    > I'd say it was cool if the news server had a weeks retention time (binary
    > posts not included... that would be unfair).
    >
    > Btw, BTi's news server messages *still* don't propagate fully. The funny
    > thing is, the servers were dropping random posts on a regular basis two
    > years ago. It actually became an accepted thing in BTi-land... usenet
    > regulars being unable to follow newsgroup threads completely due to
    > missing posts.
    >
    > Please tell me BTi have actually plugged in their backup 286 (complete
    > with the top-of-the-range 20MB HDD) server?
    >
    > --
    > "There's violence to be done."
    > R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

    ummmmmmm...

    yes.

    YAY
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:46:55 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

    > ummmmmmm...
    >
    > yes.
    >
    > YAY

    In a couple of years, the residents at BTi castle willl get brand new
    386's, complete with turbo buttons. Can you imagine their delight? :D

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:46:55 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
    >
    >> ummmmmmm...
    >>
    >> yes.
    >>
    >> YAY
    >
    > In a couple of years, the residents at BTi castle willl get brand new
    > 386's, complete with turbo buttons. Can you imagine their delight? :D

    Nationwide head implosions of joy!

    YAY
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >> Polarhound wrote:
    >>
    >>>If brains were cotton, you couldn't tampon a junebug.
    >>

    >> One wonders to whom this is directed.
    >>
    >> Being from Polarhound, it must be to the irksome idiot
    >> who can't read. I'll read on and see..............
    >>

    > Of course it was, which is why I used an old insult instead of coming up
    > with something newer.. He wasn't worth the effort.

    But there really wasn't a need to insult him ANYWAY.

    Yes, he probably didn't read what was written properly even though it was
    rather simple, but the problem with the update is not his fault
    and there is no real need to insult him.

    Its like insulting someone for being stuck in a well because they're not
    strong enough to climb out of it with the rope which you're dangling:

    It serves to do nothing, except to maybe deter him from this game whose
    player base is dwindling anyway, so guys - just be tolerant. It is not as if
    he's doing any harm, what with the two threads he made asking for help. If
    anything, he's kind of sparked more activity for this group, of which the
    posting has been rather sluggish anyway.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian Ng wrote:
    > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>>^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    >>> One wonders to whom this is directed.
    >>>
    >>> Being from Polarhound, it must be to the irksome idiot
    >>>who can't read. I'll read on and see..............
    >>>

    >>Of course it was, which is why I used an old insult instead of coming up
    >>with something newer.. He wasn't worth the effort.
    >

    > But there really wasn't a need to insult him ANYWAY.

    His constant asking of the same question, despite being given the answer
    14 different ways by 5 different people, only served to prove that he is
    indeed 7 short of a 6 pack.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:46:55 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
    >

    >>ummmmmmm...
    >>
    >>yes.
    >>
    >>YAY
    >

    > In a couple of years, the residents at BTi castle willl get brand new
    > 386's, complete with turbo buttons. Can you imagine their delight? :D

    Ah, but will they have a little display reading "666"?

    Can't run a good server on substandard hardware.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:36:09 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

    > Ah, but will they have a little display reading "666"?

    Only if the management coughed up the extra pennies for such luxuries.

    > Can't run a good server on substandard hardware.

    We kept telling them that. They kept "upgrading", then doing "emergency
    repairs to the upgrades", before telling us that the service was working
    "according to the t&c's" (aka "Well, the thing lights up and the fans go
    round").

    Fwiw, "BTi only guarantee an internet connection" was also in the t&c's.

    Apparently they had a fully-functional coffee machine though.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian Ng wrote:
    > But there really wasn't a need to insult him ANYWAY.

    Need schmeed.

    > Yes, he probably didn't read what was written properly even though it was
    > rather simple, but the problem with the update is not his fault
    > and there is no real need to insult him.
    >
    > Its like insulting someone for being stuck in a well because they're not
    > strong enough to climb out of it with the rope which you're dangling:

    No, we pointed out the express elevator to the top of the well, and he's
    going "I'm not strong enough to climb this ladder".

    That's a big difference.

    And it's all in bad fun.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:24:37 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
    >
    >> Mine has about a month's binary retention, all complete. Sometimes
    >> more.
    >>
    >> Gnehehehe.
    >
    > Not bad.
    >
    >> My ISP gave up on running its own ISP, and uses an external news
    >> provider. Works wonders.
    >
    > With no extra charge? That's good. I'm not aware of any UK ISP that
    > does such a thing.
    >
    > The ISP I was on about in my previous reply, they once had the
    > bollocks to tell their sufferers to use an external news provider
    > (with no drop in subscription rates to themselves). The external news
    > provider they were recomending was an additional service offered by
    > another ISP... and those wanting to use that additional service had
    > to cough up for that as well.
    >
    > The last I heard of *that* 'additional service' is that it began to
    > fall over, due to oversubscription... from users from a certain ISP.

    Which reminds me- AOL suspended their newsgroups, so a
    lot of AOL'ers are now stuck with Google Groups. Anyone know
    the complete deets about this? It slowed down the norious troll
    in AFM-B, and I'd like to know if we can count on her complete
    disappearance. :D

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > No, we pointed out the express elevator to the top of the well, and he's
    > going "I'm not strong enough to climb this ladder".

    Hehe, nice analogy.

    Reminds me of the joke/parable at the end of this page:

    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/mountain.htm
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:36:09 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
    >
    >>Can't run a good server on substandard hardware.
    >
    > We kept telling them that. They kept "upgrading", then doing "emergency
    > repairs to the upgrades", before telling us that the service was working
    > "according to the t&c's" (aka "Well, the thing lights up and the fans go
    > round").

    This makes sense. For my ISP, it is also given as a strictly extra
    service, warranty-to-the-door kind of thing.

    A newsserver is a heinously expensive undertaking. My ISP limits the
    download speed to about 250k, a quarter of my current connection, to
    limit the financial impact, and it's still huge without much recompence
    (for the ISP).

    Probably, this situation is gonna change in the future, cause right now
    should be too expensive to maintain.

    > Fwiw, "BTi only guarantee an internet connection" was also in the t&c's.

    You'd be amazed at the stuff companies put in there.

    > Apparently they had a fully-functional coffee machine though.

    Can't run a good server on substandard coffee.
    --
    Frank
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:19:40 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
    >
    >> This makes sense. For my ISP, it is also given as a strictly extra
    >> service, warranty-to-the-door kind of thing.
    >
    > It would be worthwhile if the engineers knew what they were doing though.
    >
    >> A newsserver is a heinously expensive undertaking. My ISP limits the
    >> download speed to about 250k, a quarter of my current connection, to
    >> limit the financial impact, and it's still huge without much recompence
    >> (for the ISP).
    >>
    >> Probably, this situation is gonna change in the future, cause right now
    >> should be too expensive to maintain.
    >
    > Well, BTi simply don't have the hardware to maintain a news server. The
    > current excuse for one that they have is pisspoor. Missing posts are
    > commonplace... as has been mentioned somewhere along this thread.
    >
    > The thing that finally pissed me off about them though, they decided to
    > hike the prices up and give no improvements.

    I know what you mean.

    I can tolerate the service at the moment - I don't use usenet much, anyway
    and sometimes i get disconnected but only once a day.

    But now they're increasing the speed of their broadband service, whilst
    keeping their prices the same.
    Lord knows how they're gonna manage that. Lord knows havoc will ensue.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Polarhound wrote:
    > >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >> Adrian Ng wrote:

    > Are you sure your newsreader is threading properly? I'm not sure if the
    > above was aimed at me, but I haven't replied to Hellmark in this thread.

    See those attributions? That's who it was aimed at.

    And my thread looks in order. I'm assuming you either didn't get
    Adrian's post or your newsreader is b0rked.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    > Polarhound wrote:
    >
    >> >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Adrian Ng wrote:
    >

    >> Are you sure your newsreader is threading properly? I'm not sure if
    >> the above was aimed at me, but I haven't replied to Hellmark in this
    >> thread.
    >

    > See those attributions? That's who it was aimed at.
    >
    > And my thread looks in order. I'm assuming you either didn't get
    > Adrian's post or your newsreader is b0rked.

    Wouldn't be the first time giganews has puked on me..
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Adrian Ng wrote:
    > [Bloody Terrible]
    > I know what you mean.
    >
    > I can tolerate the service at the moment - I don't use usenet much, anyway
    > and sometimes i get disconnected but only once a day.

    It can be done right. I have cable, haven't had an outage lasting more
    than an hour or so in a few years (and even this much happened only once
    or twice). I get 10Mbps (in practice about 900-1000KB/s), eight E-mail
    addresses, eight mail aliases, homepage space, it all works, and works well.

    And a helpdesk that is responsive and reasonably well trained, but I
    might be biased due to working there.

    They also give me quality analog TV, digital TV, and will soon start a
    phone service.

    It's positively excellent. The main problem is two different modem
    systems running concurrently, and the older one is starting to become a
    problem, so it's being phased out.

    > But now they're increasing the speed of their broadband service, whilst
    > keeping their prices the same.
    > Lord knows how they're gonna manage that. Lord knows havoc will ensue.

    When you increase speed, you first start by expanding capacity
    throughout all systems.

    Unless, apparently, you are British.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Hellmark wrote:
    > Thanks hon, hearing you say that really meant alot to me.
    > *hugs Miracle*

    {{{{{hugz back}}}}}\\

    But I still reserve the right to get royally pissed at you
    if I think you deserve it! LOL

    I have to give you credit for hanging tough and sticking
    around. Evidently you were a cause for some turmoil in this
    group before I became a regular lurker, but that's been long
    ago, and it's no concern of mine. Seems you were "The Browns"
    in a past life.
    Anyway, you're now a regular, and I feel like I've known
    you forever, and we've been through a lot, so yeah, I consider
    you a friend.
    And DeBIG3 must be my lost fraternal twin.....LOL

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle

Games Video Games