Sign in with
Your question

Hooking multiple routers together? Configurations?

Last response: in Networking
November 23, 2008 10:47:35 PM

I've spent a lot of time setting up my home network. I recently switched AT&T internet and the installer screwed it all up. He put the new wireless router in the furthest corner of the house, so my signal is very weak. I can't move the router, because it uses a proprietary cable. So, my question is:

Can I hook up my old wireless router to my new one with a cat5 cable? Do I plug them into the WAN, WLAN, or LAN ports? What configuration settings do I need to change? How can I make it show up as one SSID?
November 25, 2008 2:16:55 PM

Dougx1317 said:
I've spent a lot of time setting up my home network. I recently switched AT&T internet and the installer screwed it all up. He put the new wireless router in the furthest corner of the house, so my signal is very weak. I can't move the router, because it uses a proprietary cable. So, my question is:

Can I hook up my old wireless router to my new one with a cat5 cable? Do I plug them into the WAN, WLAN, or LAN ports? What configuration settings do I need to change? How can I make it show up as one SSID?

well you can do that, but remember.. you might have slower net. what is your old router?
November 25, 2008 4:15:33 PM

I have an airlink router from before. How would I actually hook it up?
Related resources
November 25, 2008 6:02:16 PM

connect a cable from the att router to a normal switch port on your router. Turn off dhcp on your router so all computers will be on the same network.

If the wireless doesn't work off your router try plugging it in to the wan port instead.
November 25, 2008 7:36:15 PM

I've turned DHCP off on the second router, but there are still two SSID's. Do I need to turn it off on the first router?
November 26, 2008 5:25:00 PM

Don't think having both wireless set to the same SSID would work. If you don't need the wireless of the ATT router then turn it off. Otherwise just set your comp to hook up to the old router wireless only. You will still be on the same network IP address wise with two SSID names.
November 26, 2008 7:45:16 PM

I've hooked up the two routers. Wireless works on both. Wired won't work on the second router. Why won't wired work? I've checked all of the connections. WHY???
!