How to make a drive a primary master

G

Hello, I am trying to replace a failinf IDE drive with a SATA replacement. How do I make it bootable? I am using an ABIT VA-10 mobo, Win XP SP3, 1.5 GB DDR333 Ram, and a mix n' match collection of IDE and SATA HDD's?
I cannot seem to get the mobo to recognize the SATA which is plugged into the primary IDE slot via a Silicon Graphics 680 adapter board. This of course fouls up my ability to boot from a CDROM drive as my secondary IDE port is supporting the original WD IDE drive and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA drive. At one point I was able to boot from either the primary master or the 2nd master. I have fiddled with XXclone and cannot seem to get the machine to recognize the Sata drive any more. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards,
GGreeler

Hello, I am trying to replace a failinf IDE drive with a SATA replacement. How do I make it bootable?

Your post is very confusing to read. The board is a Socket A and does not have onboard SATA controllers. If using some sort of third party adapter for a SATA to IDE interface, it could be the driver for the adapter would have to be installed at the F6 prompt when installing Windows. Why not try a PCI SATA controller card.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=VA-10&fMTYPE=Socket%20A