Filed

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Yep, Ive found that Vista keeps crashing due to enabling SLi in my duel 9600GT's.

Ive looked around and it seems that basically all i can do is sit tight and use 1 card until a driver update is out, or maybe a windows update.
Is there any way around this problem or am i stuck?

Its not too much of a problem, but it sucks when things dont go as planned, and dont get what you payed for.

Thanks,
James.

pauldh

Illustrious

Filed

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Motherboard - Intel duluxe
CPU - Quad core Q6600
Power supply - 250W
No. of drives - ? lol

Yea as you can see im not totally compurt litterate but whenever i put raid or SLI on my PC gets bluescreened when I go into games.

Filed

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver, which was created by NVIDIA Corporation. Currently, there is no solution for the problem that you reported.

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the problem from recurring.

Check for an updated version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver on Windows Update:

Click to go online to the Windows Update website

If there are no updated drivers listed on Windows Update, go online to the NVIDIA Corporation website to check for an updated driver:

NVIDIA Corporation

Note: If you are currently running the latest version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver and still experience the problem, we recommend that you contact NVIDIA Corporation for additional information and support.

If NVIDIA Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, you might also want to check the computer manufacturer's website for an updated version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver.

pauldh

Illustrious
A Q6600 and SLI 9600GT on a 250W power supply? I would expect problems. What brand PC is this or did you build it yourself?

By number of drives I meant hard drives and optical (DVD/CD) drives. The more fans, drives, etc., the more 12v power you need. Even an underrated large oem psu like Dell would use I doubt has the 12v power needed to run that setup. Enabling SLI makes both cards chew load power in 3d, and you could have a stability issue/crash if the peak 12v power can't be supplied to the cards.

As an example, my system in my sig with the Q6600 running 3.0GHz uses about 215-220 watts at idle (input to power supply). It spikes as high as 270's just booting into Windows, and when I start up a game uses 350-400 watts. (just saw a peak 389 watts in 2 minutes of Crysis play). And there is alot more to factor in, like PSU efficiency, age, 12v consumption/psu rating, etc. I honestly think your problem may be the PSU.