asymetriccircle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
hi, im playing around with overclocking my system and was wondering about ym cpu voltage. cpu-z reports the voltage to be 1.136v, but core temp had teh VID at 1.2375v. are these both voltage readings, if so why do they conflict and what do i trust? my assumption was VID is what the bios reports and cpu-z is giving me the actual voltage after vdroop. also, do i trust my bios cpu temp reading or core temp? im a bit of a newb at this so any help is appriciated.

asymetriccircle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
alright thanks man...while your here, what would you say a safe temp for a G0 q6600 is? i have searched the forums and have found conflicting opinions. some say dont go over 60C, while other people have said theyve been upwards to 75C and remained stable. what is safe to run at in the long run?

The VID is what the cpu tells the board it wants, what cpu-z shows is what its getting(as said above, vdroop).

check the guide in my sig for info on temps.

From CompuTronix's Guide

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30-- Cool

Scale 2: Quad
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping C1
Q9300: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping G0

asymetriccircle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
thank you, the temp guide explained a lot. so i guess this means my vdroop is about .1v then? that seems like a lot, or is that about right?

also, i know this is kinda straying from the topic, but im overclocking an 8800gt and had a few questions. first, im using rivatuner to set the clocks, and 2min runs of "scan for artifacts" with ati tool. it will report no errors for x amount of time, but if i go to high i will see small yellow dots. these are artifacts and i should back down right?

finally, i am unlinking the core and shaders for the following problem. when the shaders are SET at 1750mhz the ACTUAL frequency reported in the rivatuner monitor is 1728mhz, everything works fine. when they are set at 1757mhz, the next bump up, the ACTUAL reported by rivatuner is 1782mhz and i get the little yellow dots i mentioned. why is there such a big jump in actual frequency with such a small adjustment? any way to make smaller actual adjustments? what would be a safe temp for the core to run at? after about 2 min at 712core 1728shader 993mem the core is about 68-70C. thanks again!!

My Vdroop is from 1.2(even with it set to 1.225) to about 1.17, as long as its stable i would not worry about it

On to ati tool

The little yellow dots are bad.

You should run ati tool allot longer. and by default it will allow a small amount of dots to pass, there is a setting to turn that off(Settings - > Artifact Scanning -> Slider all the way to "More artifacts detected lower overclock")

Due to the way the card is built the shaders as well as the core and memory take steps and not 1mhz increments. You can manually set the frequency with a bios flash, but i do NOT recommend this as one wrong move and the card can be a paper weight(you can recover but its a real pain).

I would just live with the next step down. its still fast as hell.

asymetriccircle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
alright man thanks, i think that about covers it.

Ive heard about the thing where it jumps in increments, and realized it was happening, but when it took such a big jump i was really suprised as it was not proportional to the other jumps. anyway i guess ill just keep working with the core and memory and adjust ati tool and test longer like you said. probably not gonna go over 2ghz on the mem as iv heard somewhere that it can be bad for my particular card.

anyway thanks.