re-seating northbridge hs on ds3l

nod32

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Im planning on picking up some better tim with a new cpu cooler and seeing as I'm already taking the motherboard out (bolt thru kit), I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to reseat the northbridge heatsink, apply some tx-2 or mx-2 and throw on a 40mm fan.

I have it at 400 right now, but going to go as high as i can once i get better cooling on the cpu. Is taking the heatsink off worth the trouble?

thanks
nod32

gigabyte p35-ds3l

ps: should i do the same thing with my 3850 core? and tx-2 or mx-2?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't know that just changing TIM will give you that much, but a good aftermarket HS will certainly make a difference in both cases. That's just my opinion, many may not agree.

nod32

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
thanks for your reply
I'm asking about the 3850 because I read somewhere that a guy replaced the factory tim on a 4850 and it dropped the idle temps by over 20C. It seems a little much, but if i could even get half that it would be worth it to me.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yipes, it can't hurt to try but you will void your warranty. If they are using thermal pads you will get a better reduction, but 20C is a massive amount. maybe the HS was not installed properly from the factory. If you can keep it cool with the fan raised up I would let it eat. I don't know how good these coolers are on the new cards, and if an aftermarket HS is even worth it. You will need to do some searching to see if an aftermarket HS is worth it, depending on your brand of card.

nod32

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
i considered an aftermarket cooler but i don't think its necessary. It's overclocked so the warranty is voided anyway. If the temps go down a bit, i might not have to raise the fan speed when gaming. Is it just screws keeping the heatsink on?