smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:23:07 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> If this information has been shared before, I apologize.
>>
>> I just recently ran across this stuff myself, and given Miracle's
>> mention of modeling, I thought it might be of interest to anyone with
>> a color printer, a .pdf reader, exact-o knife and some glue.
>>
>> Dig it:
>> http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html
>
>I dig.

I knew that you would.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

W00t! New test files for the printers at work!

--
Troy

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 04:25:53 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>W00t! New test files for the printers at work!

Hehehe, if I had known about this months ago, I'd have a work area
littered with motorbikes.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> If this information has been shared before, I apologize.
>
> I just recently ran across this stuff myself, and given Miracle's
> mention of modeling, I thought it might be of interest to anyone with
> a color printer, a .pdf reader, exact-o knife and some glue.
>
> Dig it:
> http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html

OMB. Oh, you have no idea how cool this is!!! I love this stuff!

Here's a site for wives and kids- it has tons of free stuff like
gift bags and stationary. Really cute stuff if you scrapbook, too.
http://www.grandmageorge.com .

I LOVE paper toys and gizmos. Thanks for sharing! :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 22 Apr 2005 07:23:26 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> If this information has been shared before, I apologize.
>>
>> I just recently ran across this stuff myself, and given Miracle's
>> mention of modeling, I thought it might be of interest to anyone with
>> a color printer, a .pdf reader, exact-o knife and some glue.
>>
>> Dig it:
>> http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html
>

> OMB. Oh, you have no idea how cool this is!!! I love this stuff!
>
> Here's a site for wives and kids- it has tons of free stuff like
>gift bags and stationary. Really cute stuff if you scrapbook, too.
>http://www.grandmageorge.com .
>
> I LOVE paper toys and gizmos. Thanks for sharing! :)

A lot of this stuff is really intricate. I particularly like the
motorcycle models. But I'll probably construct a paper tiger for my
daughter. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> If this information has been shared before, I apologize.
>
> I just recently ran across this stuff myself, and given Miracle's
> mention of modeling, I thought it might be of interest to anyone with
> a color printer, a .pdf reader, exact-o knife and some glue.
>
> Dig it:
> http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html

Here's some more:

http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/3D-papercraft/

http://www.paper-craft.net/ (there doesn't seem to be much to download
here, but lots of neat pictures, such as the one at
http://www.paper-craft.net/html/works_0714.html)

--
Troy

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Troy wrote:
> Here's some more:
>
> http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/3D-papercraft/
>
> http://www.paper-craft.net/ (there doesn't seem to be much to download
> here, but lots of neat pictures, such as the one at
> http://www.paper-craft.net/html/works_0714.html)

<drool, slobber, download, download, download.............>

Thanks Little Bro #2!!

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:56:25 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> If this information has been shared before, I apologize.
>>
>> I just recently ran across this stuff myself, and given Miracle's
>> mention of modeling, I thought it might be of interest to anyone with
>> a color printer, a .pdf reader, exact-o knife and some glue.
>>
>> Dig it:
>> http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/index.html
>>

>Here's some more:
>
>http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/3D-papercraft/
>
>http://www.paper-craft.net/ (there doesn't seem to be much to download
>here, but lots of neat pictures, such as the one at
>http://www.paper-craft.net/html/works_0714.html)

Neat stuff! Thanks for sharing! I think I might do the one of Tower
Bridge.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I guess the old saying is true: "Those who cannot do become IT
> support."

And those who cannot read become IT support customers.

I wonder how much IT support costs would go down if all Windows error
messages read themselves aloud to the user. I've often gone in to help
someone, read the error message to them, and their light bulb goes on. :/

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:57:11 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I guess the old saying is true: "Those who cannot do become IT
>> support."
>
>And those who cannot read become IT support customers.
>
>I wonder how much IT support costs would go down if all Windows error
>messages read themselves aloud to the user. I've often gone in to help
>someone, read the error message to them, and their light bulb goes on. :/

Oh! Remove DISK and strike ANY key! Aaaaaaahhhh, I see now...

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>I guess the old saying is true: "Those who cannot do become IT
>>support."
>

> And those who cannot read become IT support customers.
>
> I wonder how much IT support costs would go down if all Windows error
> messages read themselves aloud to the user. I've often gone in to help
> someone, read the error message to them, and their light bulb goes on. :/

I haven't. Mostly, I get people who read aloud to me "Press OK to
continue", and say "What do I do now?"

This has greatly been reduced ever since we got a 10ct/min number (in
case you're wondering why your support number costs money, this is it).

But then, these are home users, who aren't knowledgeable about computers
at all, so I guess it makes sense.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:15:25 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>I guess the old saying is true: "Those who cannot do become IT
>>>support."
>>

>> And those who cannot read become IT support customers.
>>
>> I wonder how much IT support costs would go down if all Windows error
>> messages read themselves aloud to the user. I've often gone in to help
>> someone, read the error message to them, and their light bulb goes on. :/
>
>I haven't. Mostly, I get people who read aloud to me "Press OK to
>continue", and say "What do I do now?"
>
>This has greatly been reduced ever since we got a 10ct/min number (in
>case you're wondering why your support number costs money, this is it).
>
>But then, these are home users, who aren't knowledgeable about computers
>at all, so I guess it makes sense.

What always got me is if I were to state, "now, press the right mouse
button and select 'properties' from the menu that pops up."

Now, what I had just done was introduced a previously unknown function
of the mouse... the right click.

For about 3 more clicks I'd get, "is that with the right or left mouse
button?!"

Then I'd have to say something along the lines of "All clicks should
be done with the left mouse button unless specified. The right mouse
button is for 'special' situations."

"Ah! Okay! I got ya..."

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Frank van Schie wrote:

> I haven't. Mostly, I get people who read aloud to me "Press OK to
> continue", and say "What do I do now?"

I don't think that's so much stupidity as it is fear. When some people
first start using computers, they're afraid of breaking something by
clicking the wrong button. They question everything, even if what to do
is stated very obviously, in plain English.

Then, the fear gradually gives way to confidence, and the next thing you
know, they double-click "Iloveyou.vbs," screw their computer up, go back
to the "fear" stage, and the cycle repeats itself indefinitely.

--
Troy

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:27:47 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>> I haven't. Mostly, I get people who read aloud to me "Press OK to
>> continue", and say "What do I do now?"
>
>I don't think that's so much stupidity as it is fear. When some people
>first start using computers, they're afraid of breaking something by
>clicking the wrong button. They question everything, even if what to do
>is stated very obviously, in plain English.
>
>Then, the fear gradually gives way to confidence, and the next thing you
>know, they double-click "Iloveyou.vbs," screw their computer up, go back
>to the "fear" stage, and the cycle repeats itself indefinitely.

I agree 100%. There's that timidity initially that's kind of fun to
watch.

I'm proud of my father-in-law. He's taken to his computer like a fish
to water. He's no haxx0r, mind you. But he's learning. Not bad for a
guy who's gotten his first machine at 62.

The mouse threw him for a while. But I got him hooked on Zuma (I
figured it would help him with his eye/hand coordination in a
non-threatening way, after all, it is 'just a game'.)

He loves to use his computer as a research tool now.

But, yeah, it's all about fear of the unknown and not so much
stupidity. And if you're patient with someone, they loose that edge of
embarrassment around you, as if you're supposed to know how to open a
browser and send e-mail strait from the womb.

I've long since lost track of how many times I hear self-depricating
expressions like "I'm an idiot, I guess." or "you should know, I'm
computer illiterate". It's like they try to spare themselves some
embarrassment by cutting themselves first and drawing first blood. As
if they're beating you to the punch.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Smeghead wrote:
> What always got me is if I were to state, "now, press the right mouse
> button and select 'properties' from the menu that pops up."
>
> Now, what I had just done was introduced a previously unknown function
> of the mouse... the right click.
>
> For about 3 more clicks I'd get, "is that with the right or left mouse
> button?!"
>
> Then I'd have to say something along the lines of "All clicks should
> be done with the left mouse button unless specified. The right mouse
> button is for 'special' situations."
>
> "Ah! Okay! I got ya..."

This is, of course, totally familiar. Literally done the same thing.
Well, almost; I did it in Dutch.
--
Frank

> I've long since lost track of how many times I hear self-depricating
> expressions like "I'm an idiot, I guess." or "you should know, I'm
> computer illiterate". It's like they try to spare themselves some
> embarrassment by cutting themselves first and drawing first blood. As
> if they're beating you to the punch.

Yeah, that's frustrating. But I find myself doing something similar in
other domains where I'm not the expert.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2005 06:54:02 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>> Oh gee, forget glue! Get some double-sided sticky tape,
>> and life is a breeze! If you can't get the Scotch brand, any
>> good carpet tape will work. It's just wider is all.
>> Sometimes I'll also use plain tape on the inside, where it's
>> hidden from view. Tape is a lot faster, and if you're like me,
>> avoids getting glue everywhere.
>
> Miracle, that's a fantastic tip!
>
> He said, as he began peeling dried glue from his fingertips...

I might not have remembered that, but I'm currently
putting together several small boxes from patterns I made
last week.
I wanted a small box that could hang from Christmas tree
branches, to hold a couple-three pieces of hard candy, and
after several too-large trials I finally got what I wanted.

I know, I know, it's still April.......
But when I'm not quite "up to snuff", I sit and work on stuff
like that. If anyone ever wants some of this stuff, I can upload
them to my site.

<remembers pics she still hasn't sent>

Um, all in good time, of course!

<jeez I've turned into a lazy sod!>

--
>^,,^< Miracle

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:15:25 +0200, Frank van Schie
> <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:
>
>> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>>> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> And those who cannot read become IT support customers.
>>>
>>> I wonder how much IT support costs would go down if all Windows
>>> error messages read themselves aloud to the user. I've often gone
>>> in to help someone, read the error message to them, and their light
>>> bulb goes on. :/
>>
>> I haven't. Mostly, I get people who read aloud to me "Press OK to
>> continue", and say "What do I do now?"
>>
>> This has greatly been reduced ever since we got a 10ct/min number (in
>> case you're wondering why your support number costs money, this is
>> it).
>>
>> But then, these are home users, who aren't knowledgeable about
>> computers at all, so I guess it makes sense.
>
> What always got me is if I were to state, "now, press the right mouse
> button and select 'properties' from the menu that pops up."
>
> Now, what I had just done was introduced a previously unknown function
> of the mouse... the right click.
>
> For about 3 more clicks I'd get, "is that with the right or left mouse
> button?!"
>
> Then I'd have to say something along the lines of "All clicks should
> be done with the left mouse button unless specified. The right mouse
> button is for 'special' situations."
>
> "Ah! Okay! I got ya..."

Damn. Gee, the more of these stories I hear, the prouder
I am of myself for just sailing ahead by myself when I got that
first computer at 45 years of age. I just plugged it in, turned it
on, and went for it.
Oh, I had a lot to learn still, but I'd ask "how" and do it.
I bet I drove Bry damn near crazy that first year. I found him
in Usenet in April of 1997, so you guys should pity him. LOL
And Troy- poor Troy was in that group too, along with Bill
and BruceRob. And then Pokey got me to lurk in here when he
got me hooked on T1.

And now, "Poor y'all"! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle, not sleepy yet

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 26 Apr 2005 09:10:13 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

[slash]

> Damn. Gee, the more of these stories I hear, the prouder
>I am of myself for just sailing ahead by myself when I got that
>first computer at 45 years of age. I just plugged it in, turned it
>on, and went for it.
> Oh, I had a lot to learn still, but I'd ask "how" and do it.
>I bet I drove Bry damn near crazy that first year. I found him
>in Usenet in April of 1997, so you guys should pity him. LOL
> And Troy- poor Troy was in that group too, along with Bill
>and BruceRob. And then Pokey got me to lurk in here when he
>got me hooked on T1.
>
> And now, "Poor y'all"! LOL

If only all people took to it like you! You seem to be a great
student. You actually apply what you learn. You actually learn! And
most importantly for truly absorbing things, you WANT to know more.

Unfortunately, when it comes not only to computers, most people have
no sense of adventure and inquisitiveness. Good enough is well enough
and the simpler the better as far as they're concerned.

My wife's like you in that she had no fear with her first computer.
And she's naturally nosey, so she would prod and poke around in menus
and subsystems until she learned things.

--

> If only all people took to it like you!

Absolutely! How are geeks supposed to reproduce without geek women? ;)

Try posting on Slashdot and mentioning that you're female. It's like blood
in the water. (Hmm, "Chum" might make a good online handle.)

>^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>his body were:
> And now, "Poor y'all"! LOL

Poor us? But we like ya here!

Smeghead wrote:
> But, yeah, it's all about fear of the unknown and not so much
> stupidity. And if you're patient with someone, they loose that edge of
> embarrassment around you, as if you're supposed to know how to open a
> browser and send e-mail strait from the womb.
>
> I've long since lost track of how many times I hear self-depricating
> expressions like "I'm an idiot, I guess." or "you should know, I'm
> computer illiterate". It's like they try to spare themselves some
> embarrassment by cutting themselves first and drawing first blood. As
> if they're beating you to the punch.

Again, wildly familiar. And I have never, in six years of tech support,
made the comment that someone shouldn't use a computer or that someone
was stupid.

At least, not to the customer; venting is occasionally necessary after
the call ends. But even there, some practice would sort that out.

But to get some kind of idea as to how the screen looks to a total
newbie, look at it upside down (for some people, CTRL-ALT-Down,
otherwise just tilt your head) and look at the task bar. what we would
call "depressed" or "lower" than the others (ie, a selected task) all of
a sudden looks raised, and the raised buttons look lower.

Someone who doesn't have any preconceptions probably doesn't see the
difference quite the way we do, since we're used to seeing the shading
done as if the lightsource is at the top left.

Nothing is really obvious, until you're used to working with it.
Intuitiveness could be greatly improved in computers...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> If only all people took to it like you! You seem to be a great
> student. You actually apply what you learn. You actually learn! And
> most importantly for truly absorbing things, you WANT to know more.
>
> Unfortunately, when it comes not only to computers, most people have
> no sense of adventure and inquisitiveness. Good enough is well enough
> and the simpler the better as far as they're concerned.
>
> My wife's like you in that she had no fear with her first computer.
> And she's naturally nosey, so she would prod and poke around in menus
> and subsystems until she learned things.

Aw, thanks for the compliment. :)

I just realized real quick that the Internet was far more than
just pages with information on them. Brand-name everything
had their own web sites with recipes, coupons, and more.
Folks had personal sites with all sorts of things they wanted
to share with the world.
Then there was Usenet, and *binary* groups, which didn't
automatically mean porn! Women had learned to post whole
patterns of everything imaginable, using several mediums.

Then the best part turned out to be what all I could DO with
all the things I had saved by using this infernal beast! No holiday
or occassion happens without featuring something I've handmade
using something I've seen or learned online.

No wait- that's not the best part. The very best part is that
while finding out about the wonderful places I could go online,
I've met so many nice folks. One of the bonuses has been that
all of my online friends live in places other than Yuma, and I've
learned a lot about other parts of not only the world, but my
own country as well.

But in order to get to this point, I had to be nosy and learn
most things the hard way! LOL Fearlessness sometimes
made me too quick to press the wrong button. Ooooops.......

But after suffering through that first "real" reformat (not a
restore), I knew there was nothing that I couldn't do computer-
wise if I had to. So then I tackled the "guts", replacing video
cards and sound cards, working my way up to memory sticks,
cooling fans, and hard drives. I think that's the part I like best-
it reminds me of working on a car engine. :D

Sorry guys- I've got a nasty case of heartburn tonight, so
I'll probably be a tad wordy, waiting to get comfortable enough
to go to sleep. I ate a whole pint of blueberries. :eek:}