Sign in with
Your question

Graphics cards not playing nice together

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2008 2:34:39 PM

I'm building a system based on an Asus Rampage Formula with a Q9450. For my main graphics card, I have a GeForce 8800 GT 512Mb (EVGA) which will be connected to two lcd panels. I still wanted to use my analog crt for photo-editing, so I got a second video card. I wanted to leave the other PCIe x16 slot for a future raid controller, and I needed the two PCI slots for legacy cards, so I found a PCIe x1 GeForce 8400 GS (HP) (http://www.colamco.com/store/product/detail.aspx?product=681850)
Both cards are using the same Nvidia driver (the more recent one included with the 8800 GT). My system is dual boot Vista 64bit and XP 32bit. Right now, I'm trying to get the second card to work in XP.

When I try to extend my desktop onto the 8400GT, Windows XP immediately crashes. I looked at the resources used in Device Manager, and there are no conflicts at all. Is there something I can configure to make these two cards coexist, or am I out of luck?

If instead of the 8400GT, I gave up the x16 slot and got another 8800GT, would they work together (non-SLI, just multiple displays)?

EDIT: I didn't notice there was a Nvidia specific forum. Moved it here.
May 4, 2008 3:00:10 PM

Mixing 64bit and 32 bit operating systems together is always a fun ride. Requiring two sets of drivers for each hardware part. Wish you luck with it. My recommendation would be to just dump the 32 bit version of XP. But I'm one thats completely happy with 64bit Vista.

As to running a second 8800GT card yes they would work together for multiple displays. Being there nVidia cards thats the only way you could run them.
May 4, 2008 8:20:38 PM

Yeah, I haven't even tried yet to configure it yet with Vista. I wonder if the problem I'm having is because one card is an 8800GT and the other an 8400GS, or because one is PCIe x16 and the other PCIe x1. Maybe the cards need to be identical for this to work?
Related resources
May 4, 2008 8:48:42 PM

I mean, I'm not sure what's wrong, but it should work. They don't have to be identical cards. I have an Abit IP35-Pro, and my primary monitor is running on an 8800GT in the PCIe-X16 slot. My second and third monitors are running on my old 7800GTX 256MB in a PCIe-X4 (X16 physical) slot, and it works fine. And I'm running Windows XP 32-bit
May 4, 2008 11:42:43 PM

Hmm. That's close to what I'm doing. Here is something else strange. Windows Device Manager shows the two cards under display adapter, but there is no indication in the nVidia control panel of the two cards. At work we use machines with 2 nVidia Quadro NVS 285 cards. The nVidia control panel shows the 2 cards in a combo box so you can set up each individually. But on my pc, the nVidia control panel does not show that there are 2 cards. Windows Display Properties sees both, though.
May 5, 2008 6:37:38 PM

Same problem here. Trying to get another 8500GT to work with my 8800GTX. Keep on getting IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSODs. Any suggestions would really help.
May 6, 2008 11:55:33 AM

I'm trying to get some help at nvidia support. Their first suggestion, update to the lastest driver, was no help.
May 9, 2008 4:45:56 PM

Well, I'm throwing in the towel. Apparently HP and nvidia already know there is a problem with this combination (see below). I'm trying to get an rma, but the retailer wants HP to accept a return on the card. I hope they will because they already knew there was a problem!

Hello,
We have received a similar bug reported by HP when connecting two TV's to the graphics cards. The bug is currently being investigated. Unfortunately, the engineers have not yet been able to identify the problem however if you are able to return the Geforce 8400GS PCI-E x1, it would be better to replace it with another Geforce 8 series card. It should work just fine with any Geforce 8 series card with exception to the Geforce 8800GTX, 8800Ultra, 8800GTS 640MB and 8800GTS 320MB.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care
!