Sign in with
Your question

Transferring a raid set-up (different mobos)

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2009 11:22:40 PM

Recently bought an upgrade.

Put all bits together, whacked in hard drives and came to stumbling block.

I had raid 0 set up on a raid card on my old motherboard (on a raid card)

My new motherboard has raid built in, can i just set up the raid array on this and it will work with all the files still?

If this would cause issues due to chipset differences could I use the raid card and do it that way?

Does it matter if the HDDs are plugged in say different SATA ports on the raid card or mobo?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi BTW, im new!
a b V Motherboard
a c 127 G Storage
June 30, 2009 11:29:38 PM

Only if the controller is the same. So if you old motherboard has Intel ICH7R chipset and your new motherboard has Intel ICH10R, then it should work. But not cross-brands. This can be done manually but is unsupported and very dangerous.
June 30, 2009 11:40:32 PM

ah so the best option would be to use the raid card in the new machine?
Related resources
July 1, 2009 1:41:57 AM

^ if you've got an extra card slot, that's definitely the easiest approach and it's pretty much guaranteed to work. Plus a dedicated RAID card might yield better performance in some cases than an onboard RAID controller.
July 1, 2009 6:30:29 AM

Thanks for advice everyone
a b V Motherboard
a c 127 G Storage
July 1, 2009 11:01:53 AM

If your dedicated card is PCI (which i suspect), it will be slower than the onboard RAID. But hey, you can check if it works, backup the data and re-create on the onboard RAID controller if you want. The speed difference may be noticeable or not, so its up to you if its worth the trouble of rebuilding the RAID on the onboard controller.
July 1, 2009 4:56:38 PM

Ok so this hasnt worked very well.

Tried the raid card... plugged in the HDDs. Came up with

HDD0 - RAID Inside
HDD1 - Non-RAID

It recognises that I have 1 RAID Drive.

It recognises the mode it used to be in 0-Stripe

"Status" reads "Failed"

Under "Members (HDDx)" it reads "0?"

Now, when I switch the cables round it flips that to HDD0 - Non-raid and HDD1 as Raid, and I believe it says "Members (HDDx)" it reads "1?" (i think...)

So I have a few options available

I can revert HDD to Non-Raid - then maybe create another raid - but would my files all be in tact?

I could also build up the old PC, back up the data and do it that way... providing that it does actually work.

Anyone know what this may be?
a b V Motherboard
a c 127 G Storage
July 1, 2009 7:24:58 PM

If you want to keep your data, do not write to the devices or make any changes, but perform manual recovery of RAID arrays.

This also is a good reason to run software RAID instead; but it doesn't explain how one disk lost its configuration. Are you sure nothing happened to it? What happens if you put the RAID card + HDDs back again?
July 1, 2009 7:31:07 PM

what into the other computer?

i dont know, havent tried it cause I will have to reinstall windows again! (got it up and running on new drive)

how would i do a manual recovery of raid arrays? is that in the bios? or done through windows? at the moment windows can only see one drive through the raid card.

is it time to try the onboard raid?
July 1, 2009 10:47:06 PM

well just plugged it into my old machine... and its doing the same. only detecting part of the raid.

so now I am thinking is there a way to set up raid within windows to recover the files?

the hdd's were not corrupt when i started, but now only 1 drive is detecting as raid when using the pci-e raid card.

should i use the old pci-e raid card? or use the onboard raid?

i have a gigabyte ma770-ud3 which also has something other than IDE & SATA too.

im so confused!
a b V Motherboard
a c 127 G Storage
July 2, 2009 8:21:27 PM

So the issue now is you want to get your data back? Or you just want to setup a RAID again and don't bother about the current data?

If you want to perform recovery, you can boot from windows with the other HDDs attached to a non-RAID controller. You can then perform recovery with special software that recognises RAID; there are many search in this forum or google.
July 2, 2009 8:23:56 PM

ah cool... yea i want to save my data from raid, can you recommend any recovery software in particular or they are all quite good?
a b V Motherboard
a c 127 G Storage
July 2, 2009 8:46:00 PM

Since i don't use Windows, i may not be the best to ask. I can perform this kind of recovery under BSD or Linux, but only if the NTFS filesystem is undamaged. Unfortunately Microsoft' filesystem support is very poor (FAT and NTFS) and the successor, WinFS, was quickly dropped in the garbage bin because they couldn't figure it out correctly.

This is kind of off-topic i hope its allowed, but Microsoft couldn't even get their core product right; they had to hire DEC/Alpha engineers to help create their stable NT kernel, of which all releases since Windows 2000 (and earlier NT4..) are based on. The Win95/98/ME-kernel was, as you may know, not very stable.

Not that i disaprove of people using Windows, but especially for storage there are alot of technologies like ZFS which you don't have access to if you only run Windows. ZFS would for example be better resistent against the problem you just faced. Running Windows + NTFS meta-data only journaling + JMicron RAID is quite a fragile setup in my opinion. If you want to read about ZFS, checkout the wikipedia article here.
!