What Programs to run after building??

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hi, I just finished my first computer build and installed xp.

My question is, what programs should I download to check for stability, temperatures, speeds, benchmarks, etc? and I will be OC'ing shortly.

Also, on a side-note, is it normal that my CPU cooler fan (arctic freezer pro 7) sometimes seems like its trying to spin but does only half a spin, takes a ~2 sec. break, tries again and again, and repeats the cycle and then kicks in later on after a couple of minutes of doing that. Is it some sort of setting I need to change? I don't want to OC CPU until I am sure that there isn't a problem with the fan. I checked CPU temperatures at post while the fan was doing this strange cycle and it was at ~29 celcius.

Thanks for your help

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Thing is thow, sometimes it does spin at full speed (or what seems liek full speed from what I see)
I have a 700w power supply, which works to power up everything else.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
You can probably disable CPU fan speed control in your BIOS. That will let it run at full blast. It isn't very loud so no reason not to let her rip.

acidpython

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
^^ select Menu/PWM mode, then adjust. Should be under power... or fans just look around.

Stability Prime, Orthos, Everest.
Realtemp > coretemp seems to be the general consensus atm. Personally i set PWM mode and adjust the speed myself to what im comfortable with. As long as its cool (Y)

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
You need to let us know your system specs- cpu, MB, ram vid card, etc.

Some programs do not play nice with some hardware.

CPU-Z
Speedfan
Real Temp
Prime 95
3dMark06
GPU-Z

and Rivatuner for OCing your vid card.

I second the cpu fan running full all the time, it is a fairly quiet cooler.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Coretemp is good.
Also grab Memtest (my DFI MB's come with it built in on a ROM chip!),Orthos and 3Dmark06.

Shedimus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Its dead simple, the cpu has to reach a certain temp before the fan comes on fully, it scares the hell outta you when you turn on to post but then it comes on a few seconds later, its no big deal!

acidpython

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008

Doesn't let me set my t-junction max lol, plus has compatibility issues with vista 64 apparently.