Antec 1200 vs Stacker 830 vs Cosmos S

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Nope, as I have no idea where them numbers were got!

My case, $78.

Do you see how lacking it is to just put up a number?

I purchased, from Frys.com, an Antec 900 on sale, no rebates, delivered to my door for the aforementioned price of $78.

For me spending $200 or more for a case, thats just a case, is obtuse and or asinine.

sailer

Splendid
Assuming the Antec 1200 costs $180, the Stacker costs $260, and the Cosmos costs $270, The Antec 1200 has is favored. OK, I have an Antec 900 and the only thing I regret with it is that I didn't hold off and get the 1200. The case looks good, has enough fans to get great air circulation, the fans are fairly quiet. Oh yes, since is costs so much less, that means more money to spend on a better video card or whatever.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If it were me, Antec Twelve Hundred, without even thinking about it. I'm a fan of the 3/9/1200 series. It more than likely has the best cooling of the three and I think it looks the best.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

this is Antec 1200 not Antec 900....

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
curently i think Antec 1200 has the best cooling, Stacker has the most space, and Cosmos has the best sleek look/design. hmmm....i guess for performance/ocing sake Antec 1200 would be the best.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Well the best cooling case would be the CoolerMaster Stacker TO-1 with the exit fan grill unscrewed/removed.

You can get dirrect in/out air flow path and even install the Crossflow fan kit that cools the whole MB.
Good air cooling is about correct airflow,not a bunch of fans.

It's not on your list...and good luck finding one today!

Ragnorok64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Isn't it rather redundant to to say "illustrative allegory" since allegories are symbolic by nature? Also, I don't think your first post was even an allegory to begin with.

All those cases look like solid performers, I'd go with the 1200. It's cheapest and I think it looks the best.

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
"I don't believe in spending much for a case.
Power, reset and leds wear out between builds.
Those things are hard to replace. "

You must buy some cheap nasty cases, a quality case can last a lifetime. I have the stacker 831... pretty sure its almostthe same case but without some of the extras. Very good case, can be a bit rattly, but its easily sorted. the 1200 Im assuming will be steel construction rather than aluminium dnt know much more than that. the stackers removable tray, E-ATX, and BTX is nice. Cosmos is jus a nice looking case, airflow in either i cant imagine being a concern, but the stacker has very good airflow.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
What are you guys smoking? I know it is not marijuana, because it is not powerful enough. The Antec 1200 in no way cools better than the Cooler Master 830 for many reasons. The Cooler master has more fan emplacements, obviously, it is much larger (one of the largest cases I've ever seen 21" tall 25" deep 10" wide that is massive) so it dissipates heat much better, and finally it is made of aluminum which dissipates heat very well and steal does not dissipate heat what so ever. The cooling prize goes to the Cooler Master 830, regardless of other's biased opinions, it is fact. Also the Cosmos S is definately on the bottom cooling wise and does not bring anything special to the table. The Cooler Master 830 has a great removable Mobo tray, the 830 weights in at almost half that of the 1200, and the 830 comes with more space and options like space for 9 hard drives, E-ATX (good for extra space for all those monst GPUs), and is much easier to build in thanks to the size and the great cable management, not to mention the 1200 is much more dusty. It comes down to personal taste, it is between the 1200 and the 830. The only draw back I can find, and this is stretching it, is that you can not put in a larger CPU cooler such as the T.R.U.E. or Tuniq tower in the case without losing 2 side fans. Good news is that CPU coolers such as the Zerotherm BTF92 OC edition perform very close to the T.R.U.E. and I'm sure the extra cooling will more than make up for the difference.

Also if you are comfortable with buying a refurb case then there is absolutely no reason not to get the CM 830 with the insane price of only $109.99!!!

http://cmusashop.coolermaster-usa.com/catalog/index.php

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Wow, thats a little harsh, I enjoyed the post it was short and to the point, unlike my endless posts...

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I'd like to see proof (reviews, tests, etc) otherwise I'm calling shenanigans. And just because a case is made of aluminum vs. steal or has more fans in no way means it cools better by those facts alone. That's like defining a word with the word inself. You're kinda making a correlation/causation argument with no real proof.

Proof of this? The three fans in the front have removal, washable filters, wouldn't that make it less dusty?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
For the first point, it is quite simple that the 830 can achieve much better cooling than almost any case on the market. How do I know that the 830 is better than the 1200? Simple, reviews have pointed out that the 1200 only slightly out performs the 900, and my friend's 830 destroys my Antec 900 and he uses 60 CFM fans, and all my Tricool fans are on high, which is 79 CFM. He also has a system that produce a lot more heat than mine. I get a 29C on average Idle he gets 23c on average Idle. I'm not saying that the 830 destroys the 1200 in cooling performance, but it is pretty simple when you look at it from an unbiased point of view, the 830 DOES has an advantage cooling wise. The second point is simple aerodynamics, the 830 has a positive pressure cooling system, meaning there is more intaking than exhausting of air. The 1200 has a negative pressure cooling system, meaning it has more exhausting than intaking of air. The simple difference is that the negative pressure forces air through all possible openings into the case and most of those openings don't have filters. The positive pressure forces air through all possible openings out of the case. It really is that simple, to me the 830 is the best out of the 3, but the 1200 is a great case for the money. As I said before, it is solely up to the OP at this point, atleast in my opinion. I just wanted to clear the air of some false facts that the 1200 is so much better than the rest, especially in cooling.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I agree with the 830, I have the 832 and under a 20hr load of dual Orthos my Overclocked E8400 (3.6) gets up to about 43c. Another thing I like is the side fans due to my 8800GT (used to be 2 in SLI). The placement of the lower side fans is perfect to get cool air into the GPU and any hot air out of the case before it has a chance to effect anything else. Cooler Master has been riding that case for a while and there is a reason it still sells, I bought mine more than a year ago for $260.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

Microcenter...its just down the road from me. $179....tax is like...$8....so its a good deal. IT also coms with 8 fans...so yeah...i bought it...the stalker only comes with 2 or 3. and Cosmos comes with 4....i would have to spend like...$25-35 more to get fans for them and that would of made the premium on those cases like $100 over the Antec 1200....so Antec 1200 seemed like the best deal to me and i got it

vickvega

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Fellas,

I am suprised to see almost no discussion about the Cosmos S. Given the three decisions and prices the cosmos s is the most sleek design. It has premium air cooling and everyting you could ever ask for in a case. One set back is hte price, but if you are willing to pay extra for the design then this is your case. The CM 830, is a nice ass case and my second choice, but is somewhat less interesting and practical due to its lack of handle bars and less sleek design.

Status
Not open for further replies.