Clean Instal of Vista using an Upgrade DVD

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Search google with the exact question you typed here. Its basicall try to install, select do not enter key. Once installed "upgrade" using dvd. Enter key, "upgrade"(reinstall)

Chimera6586

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Anyone?

I've been looking on the net and the procedure seems simple, but I'm worried that Microsoft has fixed this trick, b/c all of the articles I see are over a year old...

Anyone done this recently with the upgrade CD?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I think it works, I am not sure myself, thought I'd read it does, but could be wrong. In any case, you could do a straight install of XP, then use that as qualification of your upgrade right? Easiest thing to do after that is probably once you get Vista all set is probably to get yourself some type of ghosting software, maybe like Norton, I think there is a free one called clonezilla, though I've not tried it. But when you get set up you could make an image, or like a snapshot of your system at that time. Then store it on a second/external hard drive, then reload it if you need it. I think to reload it might be like 15 minutes? I know we image Macs at work all the time, and usually 10 minutes or so and your up and running again.