Monitor powering down randomly (Vista)

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Hi, i'm having a problem that's been occuring since i installed Vista home premium's SP1, in which my monitor will randomly cease to receive signal from the PC, this is followed promptly by a system lock-up, input from the keyboard and mouse fail to wake the machine up, but any audio will continue to play.
I'm 100% sure that this problem is software-related and not hardware related, i say this because i've not encountered this problem once during about a week's worth of XP use, and seems to only have just started (since SP1 was downloaded)
I might add that this problem occurs utterly spontainiously, and does not follow any sort of trend, it'll happen when i boot up a game, or when i'm simply browsing the web, like n... kidding.

My specs are as follows:

GPU: EVGA Geforce 9800GX2 SSC Edition
Motherboard: Asus Striker II Extreme 790i Ultra SLI
RAM: 2Gigs of SuperTalent 1600MHz DDR3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 clocked to 3.8GHz
PSU: Coolermaster Modular 1000watt

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
J Hendy

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
it has something to do with updates. My vista computer was updated and then randomly anywhere from 1 to 8 min after i boot up my PC my computer locks-up, the monitor and sound is still there but no mouse or keyboard. All i did was restore the computer to before the updates and WAA LA!
i guess since the 9800GX2 is very new compatibly for it hasn't been tested.

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, thanks for confirming that dude, i'll roll back my Vista if it carries on. I just found some newer Vista 64 drivers for my GX2, so we'll see.