A new 1TB Hard Drive?

Hello all,

I am going to buy a 1TB hard disk on monday, but I am uncertain of the brand I should buy. I am thinking Seagate because I have heard that they are really good quality. I bought a 320GB Western Digital a while back and it had recently died on me losing all of my data! I also have a little 2.5" Hitachi drive that I use as external storage for my ASUS Eee PC 4G, but it keeps crashing (the disk stops and starts back up crashing any program using it). Can someone please give me a recommendation?
There are three brands available at the cheapest place near me:

- Hitachi $114AU
- Western Digital $121AU
- Seagate $125AU

Theire all close in price so I don't mind paying more, I just want a reliable drive cause I can only afford 1 even though the mobo its going on has RAID 0 and 1. Maybe later I will buy a second and have it in RAID 1, anyway that's off subject. So any recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance,

dglad4.
11
answers
Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. I heard Hitachi is one of the best brands, I might get a 300 GB one soon, or after my HDD dies.
  2. ^-1, um no

    order:
    Western Digital Black 1TB (my recommendation)
    Seagate 7200.12 (make sure it is the .12 not the .11)
    Hitachi (rather...meh)
  3. ^ agree 100% with this gentleman.
  4. mindless728 said:
    ^-1, um no

    order:
    Western Digital Black 1TB (my recommendation)
    Seagate 7200.12 (make sure it is the .12 not the .11)
    Hitachi (rather...meh)


    OK, well I went into my local computer store where their really good to me around there (but their not that cheap) and they said either a Seagate or a WD Black. Must be a black he said cause the normal ones are no good. That's two good recommendations toward WD so i'll see if the model this place I want to buy it has normal or Black.

    Thankyou for your reply :)
  5. The majority of eHDs are much of a muchness. All manufacturers push out the occasional luck and how long a particular drive will last has more to do with luck than brand/model. Ignore MTBF ratings which are meaningless. I use an ioSafe Solo (http://www.iosafe.com/3) which is a bit more expensive than other eHDs, but is fire and water resistant.
  6. brett_30 said:
    The majority of eHDs are much of a muchness. All manufacturers push out the occasional luck and how long a particular drive will last has more to do with luck than brand/model. Ignore MTBF ratings which are meaningless. I use an ioSafe Solo (http://www.iosafe.com/3) which is a bit more expensive than other eHDs, but is fire and water resistant.


    Well, i'm not after an external, only an internal. But thanks anyway.
  7. Wd black all day long
  8. 505090 said:
    Wd black all day long

    +1
  9. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

    not cheap??? ~$100 and free shipping
  10. if u want performance, why not go for 2 500 GB hard drives and set them up in RAID 0?
  11. seerwan said:
    if u want performance, why not go for 2 500 GB hard drives and set them up in RAID 0?


    Well, performance isn't an issue and buying just one 500GB alone costs almost as much as a one terabyte. Anyway when I finish building my desktop I'll have two 160GB drives in RAID 0 for all my games and mess around data
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Storage Product