Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Anyway to get another copy?

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
July 24, 2012 4:12:36 AM

So back in 2009 I bought my first laptop loaded with the finest technology money could buy(Windows Vista ;P ) . One year later Microsoft came out with the new OS Windows 7 and had a deal where I would be able to download Windows 7 for a small price. Fast forward to 2012 and it is time to wipe that laptop clean... OS and all. Is there a way to get another copy of that Windows 7 for the very same laptop? I was not given a CD so I can't do that. Any tips? I really don't want to spend another $100 on another OS.

More about : copy

July 24, 2012 4:15:02 AM

Oh wow, I put this in Windows Vista's area xD
Score
0
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 6:51:13 AM

Yes windows 7 costs $100 but you will be able to u/g to windows 8 for only $40. you can also use linux.

Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel. There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux distros"). I recommend either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

How to install Ubuntu 12.04

How to install Fedora 17
Score
0
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 12:54:27 PM

Do you have a windows 7 genuine license?
Score
0
July 24, 2012 2:06:15 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Do you have a windows 7 genuine license?


Umm I guess I don't know. I got this copy of Win7 from microsoft...Maybe I just don't know what you mean.
Score
0
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 2:07:18 PM

You need a key to install 7.Do you have the key?
Score
0
July 24, 2012 2:14:32 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
You need a key to install 7.Do you have the key?

Well I did have one, but I can't find where I put that darn thing... So my guess is that Microsoft won't be able to help me now.
Score
0
July 24, 2012 2:17:21 PM

nhasian said:
Yes windows 7 costs $100 but you will be able to u/g to windows 8 for only $40. you can also use linux.

Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel. There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux distros"). I recommend either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/themes/ubuntu10/images/footer_logo.png How to install Ubuntu 12.04

http://aux4.iconpedia.net/uploads/705767843.png How to install Fedora 17


Is Microsoft Office compatable with Linux, Ubuntu, or Fedora?
Score
0
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 2:35:39 PM

You can run MS Office with wine in Linux but both Ubuntu and Fedora come with Libre Office so most likely you wont even need MS Office :) 
Score
0
July 24, 2012 2:39:22 PM

nhasian said:
You can run MS Office with wine in Linux but both Ubuntu and Fedora come with Libre Office so most likely you wont even need MS Office :) 


This is my college laptop so I will be needing to send and take files from my fellow students. Do you think I will be having problems with Windows -> Linux and Linux -> Windows?
Score
0
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 2:40:41 PM

Well I did have one, but I can't find where I put that darn thing < without a genuine key we can't help you.
Score
0
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 6:57:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!