Help Build Multi-monitor PC

mikey0727

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I want to build a system around a Q9450 -

Originally I wanted to build an SLI configuration -

I have been reading about moherboards and CPUs. Between a lot of people saying SLI motherboards are unstable and have problems, and people also saying SLI in no longer worth it, I'm not sure what to do anymore.

I want to be able to drive more than 2 screens (dont ask why - I just need to ) :)
Can i get a non-SLI motherboard, one good Nvida card as a primary to do 3d on, and a less expensive second video card that can drive the additional screens for when im doing work on the desktop?

If so, please suggest some configurations. I think this would work but I'm scared of picking components without recommendation.

I would like to overclock, so if I can make the above work, I am leaning towards a DFI x48 cipset Motherboard unless somebody convinces me out of it :)

Thanks for reading!

Thanks !
Mike

geekmaster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Yeah, you don't need SLI to run dual monitors or multiple monitors. SLI only alows you to
use one monitor at a time. It combines all of your graphics cards into one large video card
and only the primary monitor will work. I think they have a multi-montior version of SLI
coming out soon. Anyway, DFI boards are awesome. I have been using the heck out of
them lately because they are so stable and easy to install multiple monitors. I have a
six monitor day trading computer with a DFI board and it's rocking hardcore! You really
don't need to overclock with that much power. No need to burn out your processor faster.
It's already a monster! I say go for the ATI 2600XT video cards instead of NVidia.
They are a lot more stable and cheaper with more power!