Video graphics card

greg_22

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
what graphics card will work best for me for my computer for gaming ??
i hae a computer that i bought that was custom built but i know only so much about it ( i did not build it). i have been having trouble playing certain games i have bought with requirements like minimum of intel pent. 2.8 HTor amd athlon 2800+ 768MB / 1G RAM and video req of MIN: nvidia 6800GT (SM3) or ATI x*))XT (SM2) with latest aplicable drivers .
MAX syst req: nvidia 8600GTX or ATI x2600 w/ latest applicable drivers
OK so my computer specs that i know of are :SYSTEM Win XP Home SP3
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU
Q6600@ 2.40 GHz
2.39 GHz, 2.74GB of RAM
not shure of video graphics card just know it has a INTEL G33/G31 Express chipset family
so what would be the best nvidia or ATI for it . thank's greg

xkresnax

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

i think you should get hd 5770 because its very good for gaming and support dx11....

I'm guessing you have a built-in video card.
First you need to find out how much power your power supply can put out. You may need to open the case and look, but there could be info on the back of it. On the bellow link, if your power supply is under 400, pick the lowest 2 cards. If it's under 600, you can safely pick the 3rd tier. Abover 600, you can pretty much get any of the cards, except maybe two of them to run in SLI mode.
Take a look here, and pick one that matches what you can spend.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697.html

For that, I would stick to the under $120 range. Will give you a huge boost over what you have and will work with your power supply. Just don't buy a 3 year old high end card used for $120, they have a much higher power rating than the modern lower end cards for the same price.