Sign in with
Your question

Unable to boot (winXP)

Last response: in Storage
July 1, 2009 5:55:25 PM

I own a WD1600AAJS which is one year old and suddenly it stopped booting windows. On the rare occasion it will boot, and then everything looks OK. When I boot using the windows XP CD and I go into recovery console, I am able to access the files on the disk just OK.
I tried already chkdsk /p and /r, I did bootcfg, fixboot and it looks OK. I did not do fixmbr since I got a message saying that my MBR is not standard. I ran a full diagnostics test of the WD data lifeguard diagnostics I downloaded from the website and it found no error.
It will get stuck if I boot from the WD data lifeguard tool CD I got with the drive, and in the case where it did boot from the drive normally, the same WD software complained that the drive is not configured for more than 128 GB and I can see that the partition that I have created using the same software indeed shrank to 128 GB.
Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,
benny

More about : unable boot winxp

a b G Storage
July 1, 2009 6:39:30 PM

A machine spec would help...
Was the HD formatted on this PC of pre-formatted before instalation?

The only time I have seen something like this is when someone pre-partitioned and formatted a drive, and then installed it into a PC that didn't support 48Bit LBA; the result was the MFT/FAT wrapped when the used space reached 137Gig...
July 1, 2009 6:48:41 PM

MrLinux said:
A machine spec would help...
Was the HD formatted on this PC of pre-formatted before instalation?

The only time I have seen something like this is when someone pre-partitioned and formatted a drive, and then installed it into a PC that didn't support 48Bit LBA; the result was the MFT/FAT wrapped when the used space reached 137Gig...

I have formatted the disk using the WD CD that came with it and then installed XP.
The machine is a Shuttel XPC with Intel P4 dual core 2.66 and 2 GB memory DDR2 667.
I bought it barebone and installed the CPU, DISK, MEM, etc. a year ago.
It worked just fine until 2 weeks ago when it somehow started to be inconsistent. Now it will not boot at all (last 2 days).
Related resources
July 2, 2009 12:45:21 PM

So? what should I do? buy a new HDD just for the OS?
a b G Storage
July 2, 2009 4:36:35 PM

If it's a pre-SP1 XP install CD, then that's the problem; if it's SP1 or later it's down to basic fault finding, check all the cables, try Ultimate Boot CD, try the HD on another PC, try another HD on that PC...
July 3, 2009 10:50:24 AM

Tried the ultimate boot CD (thanks for the tip).
I ran a few of the utils but could not find anything that will fix it.
I did however found a workaround - from the ultimate boot CD menu, I select "boot from first drive" and I get in windows normally!
This means something about my problem (MBR? boot sector? BIOS?) not sure.
Anyone?
a b G Storage
July 3, 2009 11:50:51 AM

First, back up anything mega important.

If it said your MBR isn't standard, thats probably your problem. Either a virus or the drive got corrupted somehow. If it will let you run fixmbr then do so. If that doesn't work, I suggest formatting the drive. I'd also do a long drive check to make sure there are no bad sectors.
!