Sign in with
Your question

Pick the best power supply!

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2008 9:30:50 PM

I'm gonna get a Antec 900 case which is about $180 here in New Zealand!! My budget for the psu is around 150ish. This is the cheapest website I could find http://www.pepspcs.co.nz/index.php?cPath=48&sort=2a&pag... Nz prices are wack yes.

My specs if it matters
e8400
GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB, (G92) PCI Express
GA-EP35-DS3R LGA775
4gb, 2x 2g ddr800 cl5

I just want a good long lasting psu thats quiet and won't burn out on me.

More about : pick power supply

Related resources
May 23, 2008 10:02:45 PM

Thanks! I'll go with the 520watt. Not really psu related but whats the difference between cl5 and cl4 memory? going to get Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB DDR2 800MHz 2 x 2GB and the cl4 is $20 more expensive, would I never notice the change?
May 23, 2008 10:09:24 PM

Oh boy I like contests. Whats the prizes. 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.
Is it a power supply?
A new Quad core cpu?
Gift certificat to McDonalds? ROTFLMAO!

Sorry its Friday
May 23, 2008 10:29:31 PM

its cas latentcy, 4 is gonna be a little faster then 5, but if you plan to overclock then go with the 4.
May 24, 2008 1:03:38 AM

tacohead said:
I'm gonna get a Antec 900 case which is about $180 here in New Zealand!! My budget for the psu is around 150ish. This is the cheapest website I could find http://www.pepspcs.co.nz/index.php?cPath=48&sort=2a&pag... Nz prices are wack yes.

My specs if it matters
e8400
GA-EP35-DS3R LGA775
4gb, 2x 2g ddr800 cl5

nice rig, it's exactly the same (motherboard and everything) that I am thinking of getting, do you mind PM'ing me whatever you get in 3DMark06 (CPU and Graphics)?

If you want your rig to be exactly like mine (lol) then get this:
http://www.pepspcs.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=148_48&...
The VX550W is one of the best quality power supplies out there. Not very many power supply manufacturers offer a 5 year warranty.
One thing's for sure: for a single GPU solution, you will never run out of power.
If you're interested in saving money, then you can get the smaller VX450W which will also be plenty, but eats away at your margin:

If you are interested in good cable management, then you can get the HX520W, which is still plenty, and has modular cabling.

good luck :) 

May 24, 2008 1:13:00 AM

emp said:
And out of those three, I'd pick the 520 HX, because even though it might not be the most powerful one, it is the one with the better quality.
Where are you getting this info from? That really isn't true. The 520HX is the "low end of the high end". It has all the high end stuff (modular cabling, triple 12V rails), sacrificing wattage. The HX (and TX) line is aimed at the high end market, especially multi-card solutions. The OP does not have an SLI/Crossfire board... I really don't see the purpose.

And to the OP about the RAM, there is minimal difference. I would be shocked if you get anything more then a quarter of an FPS. The other poster is right in saying that it would be a bit better for overclocking. Is it worth it? Absolutely not in my opinion. Save your $20 and use it for something else. I fail to understand why people get super high end RAM and overclock it (unless you are the highest of the high end) when you can spend the extra money on a better graphics card.

May 24, 2008 4:32:17 AM

doomsdaydave11 said:
Where are you getting this info from? That really isn't true. The 520HX is the "low end of the high end". It has all the high end stuff (modular cabling, triple 12V rails), sacrificing wattage. The HX (and TX) line is aimed at the high end market, especially multi-card solutions. The OP does not have an SLI/Crossfire board... I really don't see the purpose.
said:

And to the OP about the RAM, there is minimal difference. I would be shocked if you get anything more then a quarter of an FPS. The other poster is right in saying that it would be a bit better for overclocking. Is it worth it? Absolutely not in my opinion. Save your $20 and use it for something else. I fail to understand why people get super high end RAM and overclock it (unless you are the highest of the high end) when you can spend the extra money on a better graphics card.

You opinion is your opinion and more power to you. I was replying to the OP's question asking:

"I just want a good long lasting psu thats quiet and won't burn out on me."
I recommended the HX520 which I know is not the "high end of the high end".
I also happen to have the same psu and the only real difference between the OP's system and mine is they have a GTS and I have a GT.

$80 for a 520w@40amp psu that has a 80%+ efficientcy rating and is a Tier II unit meets the OP's requirements:
May 24, 2008 4:38:48 AM

kpo6969 said:

You opinion is your opinion and more power to you. I was replying to the OP's question asking:

"I just want a good long lasting psu thats quiet and won't burn out on me."
I recommended the HX520 which I know is not the "high end of the high end".
I also happen to have the same psu and the only real difference between the OP's system and mine is they have a GTS and I have a GT.

$80 for a 520w@40amp psu that has a 80%+ efficientcy rating and is a Tier II unit meets the OP's requirements:

I wasn't trying to flame you :) . I was just stating that the TX, VX, and HX lines are of equal quality. They just vary in purposes and strong points.
May 24, 2008 10:21:29 AM

Thanks for the help guys I'm planning on getting the Corsair 520 Watt HX Series Modular Power Supply Unit like mentioned above but I did find this on newegg reviews which has me a little worried.

"...but it seems that most of this brand's units and those of a couple other brands have an incompatibility with G92 GeForces and certain motherboards. The end result is that the card thinks it's not getting enough power (whether it actually is or not), which triggers nVidia's System Sentinel and downclocks the card to a completely worthless state."

This has me a little worried as I'm going to get a 8800gts 512mb g92. Anyone have any light to shed on the subject?
May 24, 2008 4:33:09 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:

And you are aware that the HX line is built by Seasonic while the other two (VX and TX) are by channelwell if I'm not mistaken? I'm not talking about wattage or anything of the like, I'm talking about the design and built quality, and obviously Seasonic designs are the best bar none. Because in case you didn't know, Corsair does not manufacture their PSUs. It's not like the 520 HX is lacking power either (40A on the 12V rails).

To the OP, the VX, HX, and TX quality are all of good quality, because Corsair does not sell weak units, however if you're more concerned about the quality of the PSU, then by all means go for the HX line which is a Seasonic built unit. (Seasonic is the BEST PSU company in case you are not aware of it)

EDIT: Oh yeah and I forgot to say... About the HX line, because it's seasonic built even though it advertises a multiple rail design, it isn't (which is a good thing). The Antec Neo series (seasonic built too), Corsair HX, and Seasonic S12 series all sport a single rail design (Which is far superior than the multiple rail design) and for advertising purposes they show multiple rails, you can find tests and interviews on this issue on the internet with just a google search.
May 24, 2008 9:26:31 PM

tacohead said:
Thanks for the help guys I'm planning on getting the Corsair 520 Watt HX Series Modular Power Supply Unit like mentioned above but I did find this on newegg reviews which has me a little worried.

"...but it seems that most of this brand's units and those of a couple other brands have an incompatibility with G92 GeForces and certain motherboards. The end result is that the card thinks it's not getting enough power (whether it actually is or not), which triggers nVidia's System Sentinel and downclocks the card to a completely worthless state."

This has me a little worried as I'm going to get a 8800gts 512mb g92. Anyone have any light to shed on the subject?

G92 8800GT 512 with the HX520
No compatability issues
May 25, 2008 2:07:06 PM

emp said:
(Seasonic is the BEST PSU company in case you are not aware of it)

That's what I use to think but I don't believe that anymore.

All you have to do is check out good reviews and you will realize that there are a number of excellent manufacturers. Seasonic, Channel Well Technology, FSP Group, PC Power & Cooling and Enermax are all excellent manufacturers. Sometimes you do have to look at the individual unit but not with Corsair, which uses CWT and Seasonic.

Here is an excellent review of the Corsair VX550 and HX520.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMCws...

You won't go wong with either unit and if you want to save some money go with the VX450. Here is a review from probably the best power supply reviewer on the net.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/540

Edit: My mistake. PC Power & Cooling is not a manufacturer. They design their PSU and have Seasonic build it.
May 25, 2008 4:24:17 PM

You are aware that Seasonic is the OEM for some of PCP&C units right?
May 25, 2008 7:13:20 PM

tacohead said:

My specs if it matters
e8400
GA-EP35-DS3R LGA775
4gb, 2x 2g ddr800 cl5

I have the Antec 900 case and it is a great case ecept for dust accumalation (there is no type of filter in front of the fans).

Paul
May 27, 2008 11:21:25 AM

emp said:
You are aware that Seasonic is the OEM for some of PCP&C units right?

Yes. If you notice I edited my message when thinking more about what I said.

PC power and Cooling also uses WIN-TACT Electronics Corporation for their top of the line Maximum-Performance power supplies, the Turbo Cool 1200, 1200ESA and the 860.

Excellent power supplies that are supposedly over hyped and priced too high. That does not mean that Win-Tact is not also an excellent manufacturer of PSU.

!