How to fix dead 250GB Western Digital Hard Drive?

scorpdog

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Ok well I'm stupid and will be smarter next time I buy off craigslist. Just bought two 250gb western digital IDE hard drive and find out that they do not recognize when the computer scans for the drives. I listened closely and found that the drives were not spinning up. Before tossing them in the garbage, I decided to be creative and check the PCB board and I've found that a couple of the resistors were blown out. Once again I proceeded to throw them away but just then I got another thought. I tinker with xboxes all the time and have a few busted systems laying around. And they both use 8GB western digital drives. I tried swapping the PCB boards and voila it powered up the 250gb western digital drive and the PC recognized it. Only problem was that it was making a redundant loud spinning noise. I didn't want to run it too long because I didn't want the drive to be damaged.

Basically what I'm wondering is can a PCB be used from a lesser model (8GB western digital) to a (250gb western digital)? I did not test it long but everything seemed fine other than the noise it was generating. I'm sure there may be differences in how the boards operate. The chip for the 8gb drive is WD70C23-GP and the chip for the 250gb drive is WD70C26-GP. Can I flash the firmware in the 8GB PCB to run my 250GB hard drive?

xaira

Distinguished
dude believe me when i say give up unless you get another completely compatible 250gb and that wouldnt make sence, i had a hitachi 250gb die on me and after 150 bucks, switching pcbs, opening the hdds in a makeshift clean space and switching the platters, ended up with 2 dead drives