newbie hdtv questions

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 8, 2005 4:11:21 PM

Hi all,

I'm an HDTV newbie looking to buy my first high-definition TV. I have
some basic questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. My apologies
if this isn't the appropriate group, but it seemed like the best place
to ask and I couldn't find straightforward answers via searching.

1. If I purchase a 16:9 TV, will non-high-definition broadcasts (or
broadcasts not in that aspect ratio) be 'stretched' to fill the larger
width? Or will they simply appear in the standard aspect ratio with
black bars on the left and right? If the 'stretched' applies, does the
'stretched' content look distorted? I'm trying to figure out if non HD
broadcasts will look worse or just similar to what I see now on my
standard 27" set.

2. Does anyone know of a site that lists all shows currently being
broadcast in HD and/or which ones are planned to be shown in HD for the
upcoming TV season?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike M.

More about : newbie hdtv questions

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:24:46 PM

mikemass@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm an HDTV newbie looking to buy my first high-definition TV. I have
> some basic questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. My apologies
> if this isn't the appropriate group, but it seemed like the best place
> to ask and I couldn't find straightforward answers via searching.
>
> 1. If I purchase a 16:9 TV, will non-high-definition broadcasts (or
> broadcasts not in that aspect ratio) be 'stretched' to fill the larger
> width?

They can be. Most sets have settings that distort and/or crop the image
so that it can be forced to fill the screen. HD broadcasts are by
definition 16:9, but movies filmed in wider aspect ratios will be
letterboxed within the 16:9 frame.

> Or will they simply appear in the standard aspect ratio with
> black bars on the left and right?

Black or grey depending on the display.

> If the 'stretched' applies, does the
> 'stretched' content look distorted?

Yes. Some people claim that it doesn't bother them. It would drive me
bonkers. YMMV.

> I'm trying to figure out if non HD
> broadcasts will look worse or just similar to what I see now on my
> standard 27" set.

If you want the correct aspect ratio and a non-cropped image, any HDTV
should be able to do this right.

<http://www.titantv.com&gt; would be a good place to start.

> Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

You are welcome.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:41:31 PM

On 8 Aug 2005 12:11:21 -0700, mikemass@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm an HDTV newbie looking to buy my first high-definition TV. I have
>some basic questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. My apologies
>if this isn't the appropriate group, but it seemed like the best place
>to ask and I couldn't find straightforward answers via searching.
>
>1. If I purchase a 16:9 TV, will non-high-definition broadcasts (or
>broadcasts not in that aspect ratio) be 'stretched' to fill the larger
>width? Or will they simply appear in the standard aspect ratio with
>black bars on the left and right? If the 'stretched' applies, does the
>'stretched' content look distorted? I'm trying to figure out if non HD
>broadcasts will look worse or just similar to what I see now on my
>standard 27" set.

Generally, you can choose several options. I usually watch SD
zoomed to fill the screen but sometimes I watch it stretched with only
noticeable distortion at the sides and during panning. Your options
will depend on the service provider and your particular set.

Kal
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:47:53 PM

Matthew L. Martin (nothere@notnow.never) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > I'm trying to figure out if non HD
> > broadcasts will look worse or just similar to what I see now on my
> > standard 27" set.
>
> If you want the correct aspect ratio and a non-cropped image, any HDTV
> should be able to do this right.

One thing to remember is that many people go from 27" 4:3 to 40" 4:3 when
they get that 50" 16:9 set. In general, SD is going to look worse when
blown up bigger, even with a very good set.

But, if the OP buys a 34" 16:9 set, SD should look substantially better than
on his current 27" set, unless it is of very high quality.

--
Jeff Rife |
!