PCI firewire (iee1394) causing xp to hang (freeze).

asmd

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
i have problem with the p5p800 and pci IEE1394 add on card.
the specs area as follows, p4 3.4ht, 2 GB dual channel ram, win xp pro sp2, 750w psu, 1401 bios, 1x ide cd rom, 2x sata hdds, 6600gt nvidia, m-audio revolution pci soundcard, 1x pci usb 2 add on card.
the system is stable and runs well, until i tried to add in a firewire card. i added in the firewire card and the system booted fine, entered OS ok, when i plugged in a firewire device (a western digital my book external harddisk), the system froze (hang), and when i reboot it, it hangs midway loading the OS.if i disconnect the hdd, it boots up fine again. it only hangs when its connected. xp sees the firewire car and reports all is working well. there dont seem to be any conflicts. the firewire card is a via vt6306 3 port pci card.

after some trouble shooting including a fresh install xp, i realised this.

1) the card works fine, the hdd is discovered and works as it should provided i remove the other two pci cards! (sound card and usb 2 card) systems botos fine and there is no freezing of the OS.

2) if i add one card (either one), system becomes unstable and writing large files to the harddisk causes the OS to hang. no error, nothing, it just freezes.

3) if i add all three cards in, system will hang halfway loading the OS. if already is in the OS and then i plug in the firewire hdd, it immediately hangs!

this leads me to conclude that the card works fine as it can work by itself, but why wont it work when plugged in with the other two cards?

how is the other two cards affecting the firewire card?

i have tried scouring the internet for clues and a solution for some while now, nothing has fixed it.

any and all help regarding this matter would be much appreciated.

reagrds,
asmd.

asmd

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
found the solution.

this is a FYI for anybody else out there who has a similar problem. it was the VIA firewire card to blame. it would work fine by itself but not if any other PCI slot was filled with any other card.

solution costed me 10 bucks on ebay for a non-VIA firewire card. the current card is agere chipset and everything works like it should.

i tested the VIA firewire card on another pc and it works fine there with other pci clots populated.

the VIA card somehow does not get along with the P5P800. go figure...

testament to the fact that just becaue its a protocol, not all cards or chipsets are the same. (which shouldnt be the case of course!!)

regards,
asmd.