Raid 0 separate from hdd with vista business 64 installed

edelosh

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I want to create a RAID 0 array on two WD Caviar black 500gb hdds I bought.

My system drive is a SATA Hitachi 500gb with vista business 64 already installed on it.

My mobo is an ASUS p6t se; I went into the BIOS and set SATA as RAID, then configured the two WD hdds as a Raid volume in the Intel Matrix Storage utility.

I went to boot from my system drive but Vista would not start.

I went back into the BIOS and my hitachi drive has [RAID] next to it where I can choose my boot drives.

Although it's set as a NON-RAID drive in the Intel Matrix Storage utility, I think Windows thinks it's a RAID disk because I chose the option to have SATA set as RAID and all of my hdds are SATA.

Is there any way to specifically choose which SATA drives are recognized as RAID? I was wondering if it is because my drives are not formatting through Vista using the Disk Management Utility.

I want to use the RAID 0 for storgae only for video editing so I do not need the OS installed on them. Any help with figuring out how to get the RAID 0 array to work without affecting my system hdd would be great.

sub mesa

Distinguished
If you motherboard has 6 onboard SATA, sometimes only the first 4 are of RAID-type, the other two operate in AHCI mode, without RAID. If this is true, you should re-connect your HDDs so that your boot disk won't be on the "RAID enabled ports" on your motherboard.

edelosh

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I believe that all 6 ports are considered SATA and are RAID capable on the mobo. I guess I can try to look up troubleshooting for the mobo or something because I have no idea what else to do.

sub mesa

Distinguished
On most chipsets ports 1-4 are RAID-enabled, and the 5-6 ports are AHCI only. Sometimes these also have a different colour or placement on the motherboard. Check your manual to be certain.

edelosh

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
No biggie. Clean installed Vista in RAID setting. Already have most of the stuff I had before in about 2 hours including OS install, not too bad.