Crossfire not working

kccboy2004

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I would be grateful for any assistance here... I have just built my first system, I am having problems getting crossfire to work at all, or even for the system to register the fact that I have 2 cards at all.

My system:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G
CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8450
HDD: SE16 Caviar 640GB
RAM: 4 X 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2-1066
DVD: Samsung SH-S203N
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 512MB DDR2
Case: Antec 4480
Vista 64 Home Premium

I have restarted once already. I have loaded the latest bios, the latest drivers, the latest CCC software.

I took out the HD 3450 card. The system registered the on-board integrated HD3200. When I launch Catalyst Control Center (CCC), the system does not show the option for the Crossfire.

(I am really trying to reproduce what Tom's Hardware shows here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...et,1785-7.html - you will see on here the presence of the Crossifre option on the left hand side - I don't have that)

.... so I insert the 3450 card.... the monitor is disabled for the on-board card. So I switch the cable to the 3450 slot.... I checked the CCC, it registers the 3450, but no sign now of the 3200 card, nor the Crossfire option still.

What do I do ? Help please. I have loaded the latest version of the CCC software.
Edit/Delete Message

I have fiddled for hours with this. Please help.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Ok in your BIOS go to the advance page and on the list look for Init First Display and make sure its set to PEG. Then look down to Surround View and set to Disabled. Save and exit, reboot and see if it detects both now. If not return to the BIOS and this time back to Surround View and set it to Enable.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Quote:
Unfortunately, 'hybrid' mode isn't documented anywhere in the motherboard's manual. To enable it, you must enable the 'Surround View' option in the 'Advanced' section of the BIOS. Then when you install a Radeon HD 3450 card in the PCI Express slot, the CrossFire option will show up in the driver, which will allow both the new card and the integrated graphics to work simultaneously.

More FYI and I will post the link:
But the most interesting feature of the integrated graphics chip is its 'hybrid' mode, which will only work under Windows Vista. Similar to CrossFire (in fact, to enable 'hybrid' mode you must enable CrossFire), the integrated graphics chip can contribute to the graphics processing load even if a dedicated graphics card is installed. Unlike previous implementations of integrated graphics, where you could use either integrated or discrete graphics solutions, the 780G implementation allows you to use both in a bid to improve your graphics performance.
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;1776357743;pid;5237;pt;1

kccboy2004

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks very much for the detailed account.

I did do this. The crossfire did show up. But it seems that it is only registering the 3450 card in the devices.

Unfortunately I have had to run off to Japan for a month, and away from my new pc. So I can't do anymore on this for now. But again thanks. I hope you don't mind if I re-open this when I get back.