JB..my laptop keeps restarting after blue sceen shows up

G

Hello,

OK so about a month ago my laptop (toshiba satellite) was acting screwy. like maybe a virus was on it? I shut it down and when I went back later to start it up a black screen showed up and told me it was sorry for the inconvenience, but windows could not start successfully. a recent hardware or software change might have caused this. I hadn't installed or changed anything on my laptop before it started acting crazy. so it gives me options to start. safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt. last know good configuration, start windows normally. Any option I choose it will start to boot and the Windows XP screen shows up for about a second and then a blue screen appears for about a second and then the whole computer restarts and it just does the same thing over and over!! I can't access anything on my laptop what so ever.. anyone know how I can get back onto the main screen where I can access my programs? or is my harddrive offically crap? thank you!

Restart and tap Function 8 for the Advanced Boot Menu then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" That should make the blue screen stand still for long enough for you to note the detail and post it back here. We need the numeric 0x0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_UP by underscores would also be handy.[/#000ff]

kingjb83

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
the screen reads this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A73528,Oxc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

My brother just happened to have another hard drive from a friends laptop that didn't work anymore? the Harddrive looked exactly like mine execpt it was for Windows Vista and mine was for Windows XP. the Harddrive for my Toshiba was a Toshiba harddrive and the Windows Vista was a Hitachi. When we tried to start up the computer with the Hitachi harddrive we were able to get alilttle further than the Toshiba Harddrive but it was unable to get to the main screen. it kept coming up with an error that reads:

Windows Error Recovery
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If Windows failes have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interruped during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.

I've tried both options but everytime we end up getting an error and has to restart and we end up at the same message.

sgthamtaro

Honorable
May 18, 2012
my blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart you computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X000000000000000000)

How do I fix this now? How can I run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption if can't even open my computer?

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Assuming U can't get to safe mode (U can , right?), your last option is recovery console.
Need a Windows xp cd to boot from.
Restart, press del of f2 to enter bios , change first boot device to cd rom. save. restart. type1, type password, press enter(or leave blank and hit enter.)
That's where the CHKDSK /F can be run from. just type it and press enter.
U or someone who knows more on computers , can also try a sfc /SCANNOW , FIXBOOT ,FIXMBR, etc.

And if that doesn't work , the repair install becomes an option.

:hello: