MSI or BFG 8800GTS 512??

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
It is looking like a nice 8800GTS G92 will be a nice card for a good budget system. It really performs a lot better then the 8800GT at 1680x1050 which is what I will mostly be playing at.

Unless the 9900 series comes out soon, and brings the price down of the 9800GTX or something, I think I am pretty decided.

However, there is one issue: which brand? There is a MSI model for only a mere $195 after rebate... but it only has a 1 year warranty.... and MSI isn't really the first company I think of for GPU's. Motherboards, maybe, but not GPU's. Then there is a BFG model on the egg for 30 clams more, $225 after rebate (a much better looking card, I might add). The MSI has a 1 year warranty.... and the BFG has a lifetime warranty. As a budget gamer, I'm planning on keeping the 8800GTS for at least a year and a half. If I do decide to SLI it, I'm planning on keeping it for at least 2 years. I will most likely use it in a separate system after I'm through with it. My question is: Should I pay the price premium for the premium brand? Or will the MSI unit last just as long, with or without the lifetime warranty?

Agree with dagger. MSI and BFG get their boards from nvidia then market the Nvidia product with warranty's, OC editions, coolers, women in tight shirts, etc. I think BFG may be the only Nvidia outlet offering a lifetime warranty. Of course, the 8800GTS will be far out of production in say 2 years, 5 years, 20 years...so the company would give you equal value $50, $30, 2 cents. Really, service and support matter, but the Nvidia vendors use the same hardware.

I recently bought the BFG brand, but I bought it because I picked it up at Frys for $215 after rebates. It was also the factory OC version. I have it clocked it right now 100mhz over the factory setting, or 775Mhz and it shows no sign of even stressing it yet.
But yeah, its really personal preference, they are all pretty much the same thing. If you look closely at them, other than the markings and fancy paint, they are all basically indentical.
You won't be sorry for getting any brand of the GTS G92 512 meg cards.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Basically they are based on the standard board of Nvidia. Buy the MSI if you can't get the same price with BFG, for me USD$196 is the good price for 8800GTS 512M at this moment. For overclock you can overclock by yourself very easy by rivatuner etc for 20% higher speed.

Edit: The one from MSI is pre-overclocked to higher Frequency than BFG so is preferred over BFG.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Buy the much cheaper ECS I linked instead. Factory overclocking is the same thing as do it yourself overclocking. I brought the MSI model a month back, when the ECS wasn't around. If it was back then, I would've jumped on it. :p

pauldh

Illustrious
I hear ya. I have over $300 in outstanding rebates now. None are beyond 12 weeks yet though. I got one of my MSI VGA rebates and am waiting for 2 more. Don't plan on getting them much before the printed timeframe. (10-12 weeks).

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That's the point. This way, they can hold your money for revenue purposes. Revenue matters a lot to big business.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That's strange. It says in stock when I click the link. Post a screenshot?

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, I agree. Plus they bank on incomplete, late, or no submissions. If you buy because of a rebate price, you better be sure to mail it in on time and be prepared to follow up on it. Kinda a pain for sure.

pauldh

Illustrious
ecs8800gtssg4.jpg

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, must have been cached, although funny thing is I refreshed the link before posting that screenie. I've even checked that card a couple other times today from within Newegg or links here. But now I get 4 reviews and in stock like you did. How long has it been in stock for you? Me thinks my wife has figured out how to keep me from spending money on the Egg. :ouch: