Strange problem; Key depression makes computer freeze

Philogogus

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hey guys;

I recently installed Vista on my system (decent rig) after upgrading most of my components. However, I have a VERY annoying problem now.

Whenever I press and hold a key down... after about 1 second the entire computer freezes. The moment I release the key (any key) the computer goes back to normal. Now, this makes most games basically unplayable. As part of my research into the problem, I looked at my computer resources as I was doing this... I noticed that the CPU usage spiked when I depressed the key. Sometimes to 100%... sometimes just to 30%. Now, I may not be as computer savvy as I was 10 years ago, but something tells me a keyboard key depression should not tax an AMD64x2 4800+.

I am at a loss here. Its a standard Microsoft PS/2 keyboard (nothing fancy) and I NEVER had this problem before.

Any ideas?

Mondoman

Splendid
Well, when you hold down a key, it auto-repeats. Perhaps your system can't handle repeated key presses so quickly. What are the model numbers of EVERY component in your system, including things like the CPU cooler, PS, MB, RAM, hard drive, graphics card, etc?

Philogogus

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (stock cooler; repeated checks indicate my system is well within the green for operating temperature)
RAM: G-Skill (4GB); 2 sticks of 2048
Video Card: BFG 8800GTS OC 512
Motherboard: ASUS M3A-H/HDMI
PS: ANTEC 500W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 250GB SATA 300
Monitor (just for giggles); ViewSonic VX2025
Pointing device: Microsoft Trackball (I lub them; my favorite kind is hard to find nowadays!)
Keyboard: El Generico PS/2 Microsoft keyboard; I tried it with a USB keyboard... does the same thing
Network: ATHEROS 10/100/1000t integrated network controller