How do i install XP on Vista Laptop??

feddy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
i dnt know if this is the right section, sorry.................can anyone pls help me... i bought an HP laptop model no. 6516TX about 7 months ago...it came with Vista ... however i'm not very happy with vista and i would like to revert back to XP ... i tried installing a fresh copy of XP ...but when i click on "Instal XP" after the option of "Click ENTER to install XP" comes, i get a message saying i dont have any harddrive installed..................i tried looking for solutions but coudlnt find any....i didnt know it was this difficult to simply install XP after having Vista..........

Appreciate any help..thnx

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
You have to make a setting change in the BIOS relating to the HD... currently trying to remember what exactly it is. I had this EXACT problem at work with a laptop.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Odds are you need a SATA driver. Look at HPs support site. I can also tell you, having done this to at least 2 laptops, that you will want to do driver research before hand. It can be tricky to find XP drivers for everything, but as long as you are thorough its not too bad

panicatak

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I did downgraded a Toshiba L40 Satelite for my son.

I had Vista Home Premium on 1Gb of Ram.

Replaced it with Xp, had an issue trying to find an XP driver for the WLan, but got one in the end.

Machine is flying now. Although personaly i am running Vista Ultimate on my main PC (legit Home Premium Disk upgraded via SLIC Bios :D )

ThepiliGrim

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
sweeeeettttt. Some laptops /as well as some desktop configurations/ make problems when downgrading from Vista. It's really simple to resolve the problem. Just make a format /with a third party program/. eg. Acronis' Disk director or a bootable Linux disk... Have fun! And ... Good luck !

adamaga

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi l had the same problem with my Acer 5720, and toshiba, but the GOOD NEWS IS l found the way arround it which works on any brand of laptop with sata hard drive. firt you will need a USB FLOPPY DISK DRIVE and you have dowload your laptops sata drivers from the manufactroy website foe example if it was ACER 5720

adamaga

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
SORRY CARRYING ON FROM ACER 5720 then you go to ACER.COM and look for a driver downloads enter your model number choose XP driver and it will list it all, once you have downdloaded the sata driver, unpacked on the destop and open that file and copy them in to the floppy disk and put that floppy in to the USB FLOPPY DRIVE and connect that floppy drive to your laptop via USB and put your XP cd in the cd or dvd drive and start the instilation as soon as it starts hit F6 once drivers loaded blue screen will come up and it will say your hard drive could not be regonised there hit S to istall your sata drivers when you hit S it will automaticly starts reading you USB FLOPPY where you put the sata driver earlier and choose sata driver and hit ENTER and carry on brother you are good to go. rest of the instilation will carry on as normal. if you need more help
email me at: adamantepli@hotmail.co.uk :bounce: :hello: