Build a server or buy a server?

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Hello wise network masters,

I am the newly hired IT Admin at a small company of about 30 people. This place had been run by someone who apparently knew virtually nothing about the network and as a result I'm faced with a variety of issues.

We are currently looking into replacing the aging 2003 Server with something that is more of a server and less of a desktop system.

One major point in this company is that of saving money--they're a small company run by mom and pop and barely have money to do things---the server here is running at 85%+ all day and the company is growing, it's time for a new server.

So the question is--do I newegg it and just put together a server? Or do I go with a vendor who has one built that I just buy?

The plus to building my own is that it is *substantially* better component wise than a pre-fig system, say from dell. I can make my own quad core that's fairly pimped out, raid array etc etc, for the same price of one dell duron system with 1hd and virtually no memory.

The truth is though, having built a bajillion normal PC's, is that inside the computer, they're all the same parts! Same name brand etc. and that every PC I've built has lasted forever, or at the very least, as well as any name brand system (using same but lower tier parts).

So..build one myself? Or pay 2x+ the cost to get one pre-built from a manufacturer?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

E

shiv666

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
itll be in your hands to get the part replaced...even though it is not your fault the boss will prolly hold it against your good reputation, you didnt make the defective part but the boss dosent see a defective part, jst money loss related to your actions...why? cause you built the unit thats causing the problems...if they buy it from dell its there problem...it goes over your head cause you didnt build it.....its just the way it is...