hello
we have 40gb hdd, cd drive.
We have single partition in the hard disk and cdrom then i have mapped a
drive its E.
but when i insert usb pen drive its coincident with that mapped drive.

plz reply me
nijesh

Malke

Nijesh wrote:

> hello
> we have 40gb hdd, cd drive.
> We have single partition in the hard disk and cdrom then i have
> mapped a drive its E.
> but when i insert usb pen drive its coincident with that mapped drive.
>
> plz reply me
> nijesh

Change your mapped drive to something further down the alphabet, like
"M".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

But when i plug usb pen drive it should take a drive letter as F by default
..
y its taking E drive

thanks

> Nijesh wrote:
>
> > hello
> > we have 40gb hdd, cd drive.
> > We have single partition in the hard disk and cdrom then i have
> > mapped a drive its E.
> > but when i insert usb pen drive its coincident with that mapped drive.
> >
> > plz reply me
> > nijesh
>
> Change your mapped drive to something further down the alphabet, like
> "M".
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Because the system see's that drive as a hard drive or storage device. It
will always take that lettering sequence with HD's. The solution is what
Malke told you.

"Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message

> But when i plug usb pen drive it should take a drive letter as F by
> default
> .
> y its taking E drive
>
> thanks
>

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Nijesh wrote:
>>
>> > hello
>> > we have 40gb hdd, cd drive.
>> > We have single partition in the hard disk and cdrom then i have
>> > mapped a drive its E.
>> > but when i insert usb pen drive its coincident with that mapped drive.
>> >
>> > plz reply me
>> > nijesh
>>
>> Change your mapped drive to something further down the alphabet, like
>> "M".
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Actually once it is installed as E you can change it to F and it will take
that letter ever time it is plugged in but why bother.
See here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech

"Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message

> But when i plug usb pen drive it should take a drive letter as F by
> default
> .
> y its taking E drive
>
> thanks
>

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Nijesh wrote:
>>
>> > hello
>> > we have 40gb hdd, cd drive.
>> > We have single partition in the hard disk and cdrom then i have
>> > mapped a drive its E.
>> > but when i insert usb pen drive its coincident with that mapped drive.
>> >
>> > plz reply me
>> > nijesh
>>
>> Change your mapped drive to something further down the alphabet, like
>> "M".
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

hello

But in another system we have the same setup.
In all other system its taking as F only.
we have problem in that particular system.

plz reply me the correct answer.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Actually once it is installed as E you can change it to F and it will take
> that letter ever time it is plugged in but why bother.
> See here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech

> "Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > But when i plug usb pen drive it should take a drive letter as F by
> > default
> > .
> > y its taking E drive
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

> >> Change your mapped drive to something further down the alphabet, like
> >> "M".
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Nijesh wrote:

> hello
>
> But in another system we have the same setup.
> In all other system its taking as F only.
> we have problem in that particular system.
>
> plz reply me the correct answer.

Then perhaps there is something different on the computer that assigns
the usb thumbdrive to E - another hard drive or partition for example.
This is why it is best practice to use a letter like "M" or after for
mapping drives. Note that some Compaqs use M for the cd-rom drive. Use
R or S instead. That way the mapped drive is far enough "down" the
alphabet to not be disturbed by any other hardware devices in the
computer and you can keep the naming of mapped drives on all
workstations consistent. Don't worry about why this box uses "F"
instead of "E". Do the mapping correctly and you won't have to mess
with this.

Malke