Sign in with
Your question

Advice required on 8800GTS 320mb problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2008 11:52:40 AM

http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf8/8800gts...

Ok can someone tell me the name of the tubular object bottom right on this card, the silver object, my question regards the snapping off of this little object, my card is out of warranty & I'm wondering can this be soldered back on, the card still operates but I'm sure it must serve a purpose & I risk further damage..

Thing is I cannot afford to upgrade at the moment & the lose of this card will see me PCless for months :( 

More about : advice required 8800gts 320mb problem

May 6, 2008 12:05:12 PM

locherbread said:
http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf8/8800gts...

Ok can someone tell me the name of the tubular object bottom right on this card, the silver object, my question regards the snapping off of this little object, my card is out of warranty & I'm wondering can this be soldered back on, the card still operates but I'm sure it must serve a purpose & I risk further damage..

Thing is I cannot afford to upgrade at the moment & the lose of this card will see me PCless for months :( 

You mean the capacitor? It's for regulating current flow... Depending on how vital that particular one is, the card might still work, but might lose stability.
May 6, 2008 12:39:49 PM

So if I didn't put the card under too much pressure by cranking up the gfx it may still have some life in it?

Also if I got someone to solder the capacitor backon, would the capacitor work or is it dead?
Related resources
May 6, 2008 12:42:06 PM

locherbread said:
So if I didn't put the card under too much pressure by cranking up the gfx it may still have some life in it?

Also if I got someone to solder the capacitor backon, would the capacitor work is is it dead?

If you solder it back on correctly, it should work fine.
May 6, 2008 12:46:22 PM

Thanks, phone up a local PC repair shop & they will solder it on for 15 quid, better being safe than sorry..

Thanks again for the advice..
!