Windows loads backround and mouse, but hangs

Peskoly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
i just recently installed a new motherboard so i also reinstalled my windows xp OS. After finally getting onto my desktop, XP loads my backround picture and my mouse is working but nother else is happening. No icons are showing or anything. This is also the first time i am anywhere near my desktop after installing the new MB. Repair of system files went smoothly but i didnt have the SP2 disk so i skipped that step. it seemed like it didnt matter but im hoping this hang up isnt due to that

PLEASE HELP!

Solution

Hit the Control Alt and Escape keys together and click the Processes tab of the form that appears. Click the File menu then NewTask and in the box, type explorer.exe and it Enter. That should make the icons appear and restore some normality but i fyou then restart the computer and it still doesn't load properly, please post back.[/#000ff]

Hit the Control Alt and Escape keys together and click the Processes tab of the form that appears. Click the File menu then NewTask and in the box, type explorer.exe and it Enter. That should make the icons appear and restore some normality but i fyou then restart the computer and it still doesn't load properly, please post back.[/#000ff]

Solution

Peskoly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
i fixed it i just needed to restart it a few times. i guess its because before getting to the background screen with no icons i hit "yes authenticate my windows xp version" or whatever. im guessing it was trying to access the internet, but since my ethernet wasnt pluged in and the network adapter drivers werent even installed yet it was just stuck ha

ookikithd

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
It's a problem with IE8.

See this post here: http://aaron-kelley.net/blog/2010/03/cant-activate-windows-xp-after-a-repair-install-or-in-place-upgrade/

It worked like a charm!!

1) On a separate computer, download IE8 from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

2) Install it onto a flash drive.

3) Start problem computer in SAFE MODE (WITHOUT NETWORKING, WITHOUT CMD PROMPT)

4) Once Safe Mode loads, insert the flash drive and run the installation EXE for IE8. (Now is also a good time to install any network drivers for new Motherboard or NIC).

5) Restart, and log on as normal.

6) Click to activate now and everything should work!!