Sriker II Formula: bios upgrade resets my fsb and memory to auto!

i wonder if there's anyone who knows about this, becuse i'm about to give up.

so here is the problem i'm having with my striker II formula;

with any bios revision after 1001, including the newest 1305 revision, i cannot alter my fsb and memory speed settings, not one bit. every time i do change the settings manually, they reset upon reboot. any other changes i make in the bios are still there though, such as memory timings and voltages. i have an intel q9300 w/1333mhz fsb and 4gigs 1066mhz of geil evoone memory (2x2gig sticks). the asus bios resets the bus and memory to "auto" though, and every time i boot up they run at 1333mhz and 800mhz respectively.

if i run bios version 1001, i can overclock my fsb and memory, no problem. however, this bios just plain sucks, i get blue screens after like 10 minutes of gaming or 3dmark, usually some kind of usb driver error-- this bios is just too early for me to use.

so right now i'm stuck running the newest bios and having to settle with stock fsb and memory speeds, and this is clearly not good. is there any sort of fix for this? it couldn't be my memory, could it? the way i see it, i'm just stuck sitting on my hands waiting for a working bios from asus, not a place i like to be.
12 answers Last reply
More about sriker formula bios upgrade resets memory auto
  1. does the stock system drastically affect your gaming performance? probably not... the only place I find my stock system doesn't perform is in crysis... then its not playable... but I have a drastically cooler system that still runs everything... except crysis which I don't even play often anymore... so unless it really affects you just wait
  2. i'm pretty sure i'm stuck waiting however i look at it. it's just rough because it's too late to get my money back on this board and i could be running an evga right now that i'm sure would be fine.

it's not like stock settings are terrible, i can still play crysis on pretty high settings (i do have dual SLI 8800gts cards to help with that), but this problem does affect performance noticeably compared to what i could be running at. i have water-cooling on the way and even if i was just running air cooling, the q9300 should overclock to near 3.5ghz without issue. instead i'm stuck a whole 1000mhz behind, at 2.5ghz. just not cool when i spend $250 on a board an get a faulty bios. i can only blame asus.
  3. Damn Striker!
    I have Striker Extreme.... it was a Biatch to overclock as well.
  4. read my post 4 down dude!

1001 bios is the worst - i use the 1202 and the 1303 and spend alot time with all of them

USE THE 1303

ok prior to 1001 the sf2 was cake to oc

now the system is totally pro only oc job - first i thought the problem was only for 65nm cpu's i see your using the 45nm

you need to boot with low voltage ram - get and boost the cpu voltage up

read my settings:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250559-30-striker-formula-bios-sucks-official-thread

post your questions on this thread - the official that mobo sucks thread

i had to hand tune and spend many many hours to get the system worked out for 3.15-3.5ghz
  5. Quote:
    does the stock system drastically affect your gaming performance? probably not... the only place I find my stock system doesn't perform is in crysis... then its not playable... but I have a drastically cooler system that still runs everything... except crysis which I don't even play often anymore... so unless it really affects you just wait

PROPERLY TUNING THIS MOBO GIVES A MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE SYSTEM!

gaming performance is increased and particularly when your multitasking - i just spent 2 weeks tuning this mobo for a customer and its worth the time. well i gave you all the settings in my link and thread above.

try the settings and see what you think? post your results
  6. the problem is that the fsb and memory speed settings never stick.

no matter what i do, the fsb and memory speeds are set back to 1333mhz and 800mhz when i save to cmos and reboot. even if i leave the fsb and just try to raise the memory to 1066mhz, it doesn't stick. all the other settings stay the same; voltages, hard drive setup, everything else is fine.
  7. your settings are reset due to the overclock is wrong - the over clock is anything with asus

f1 error

your defulting to stock speed of the cpu and memory since you have not changed the settings right in the bios - the system sences the system is not stable and reloads the stock settings of 1333 as in an e8400 or q9300 and 800 for ram

even stock you need more voltage to get a stable system - i posted this in another area but a stiker ii that need 1.6v to get stable and would not load windows or os install with the defult settings

this is due too the massive Vdroop and high Vid the cpu needs more voltage then mobo gives at stock speeds - very similar too the problem you have with high fsb ram with high voltage that you can boot with. you need to change the voltage to get it stable

since the system is not stable it reloads defults

you do get the f1/del error - correct?

load my settings i posted then change the fsb

load the settings posted, then use a usb to load bios 1303 - your issues should go away

ps: i also added a 40mm fan to the nb - you can screw one on the screws expand the fins - almost like pins more then screws - i got 3 of 4 since the nb heat sink is odd shaped.
  8. ok thanks for the tip, i will give that a try.

just so i'm straight.. do i need to make these settings with 1001 bios, and then upgrade to 1303 after?
  9. and also, are all those settings you have listed in your other thread good for my cpu?
  10. holy crap it worked. thank you so much!

never had so much trouble getting a bios setup, but really thanks a lot, i'm glad i posted here.

was very close to wasting money and ordering a new motherboard.
  11. ya i am a genius - first time i ever printed that on this forum after 2700+ posts.

you have to realize the time it took to refine the settings - like i said it was over a week of work

but i did ship a 3.2ghz rock solid gaming system and now you have the benefit too!

my site says we build the world fastest computers - what u expect?
  12. Disculpa, ¿Alguien me puede traducir la solución? No termino de entenderla.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Formula Memory BIOS Motherboards